Student Success Coordinator - Graduate College (A1700360)
Student Success Coordinator
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign has an opening for a Student Success Coordinator. This position is a 100% full-time, benefits-eligible Academic Professional position. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. The Student Success Coordinator will work with graduate students, faculty and staff to support graduate students' successful experience at Illinois through individual consultations and problem solving and programs related to orientation and the graduate student experience.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Advise graduate students on academic and non-academic matters including providing information on campus policies; coaching students on how to approach their problems; recommending corrective action such as petitions, mediation, and grievances, providing advice with respect to wellness and work-life balance; and providing referrals to appropriate campus units.
- Consult with faculty, Directors of Graduate Studies, and Department staff on graduate student academic and non-academic matters including explaining and interpreting campus policies; advising on best practices; recommending corrective action such as academic performance reviews, petitions and mediation; providing advice with respect to graduate student wellness and work-life balance; and providing referrals to appropriate campus units.
- Represent the Graduate College on campus committees.
- Develop partnerships with campus constituencies to support graduate student orientation, wellness and work-life balance.
- Develop and implement programs to support student success, including orientation, the student experience and graduation.
- Coordinate orientation activities organized through the Graduate College.
- Collect and use data to inform program direction, students' challenges/barriers, and student retention and graduation rate.
- Serve as a resource to students.
- Serve as Convocation Coordinator for the Graduate College to assist with planning for doctoral hooding at Commencement and December Doctoral Hooding Ceremony, including coordination with Commencement Office, event planning, developing trainings for participants and verifying eligibility to participate.
Minimum Education and Work Experience:
Required: Bachelor's degree
Preferred: Master's degree in higher education, social work, counseling or related field
- Minimum of two years of professional experience in an education setting
- Outstanding interpersonal skills
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse graduate student population
- Proven ability to maintain a professional demeanor in a workload intensive/deadline-driven environment with high departmental and student expectations
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively to complete projects while balancing multiple responsibilities
- Proficiency with office software, including Microsoft Word, Outlook and Adobe Acrobat
- Familiarity with graduate programs, particularly at the University of Illinois
- Ability to plan, manage and implement events with many stakeholders
- Experience with advising or working individually with students
- Experience with student records and interpreting academic policies
To ensure full consideration application materials must be received by June 28, 2017. Interviews may begin prior to the close of the search however a hiring decision will not be made until after June 28, 2017. Start date is as soon as possible. All candidates must create a candidate profile through https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a letter of interest, resume, and the names, addresses and telephone numbers of three professional references. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Jennifer Steiling at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Office of the Provost
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Student Success Coordinator - Graduate College (A1700360)
Open Date: 06/07/2017
Close Date: 06/28/2017
Organization Name: Graduate Admin