Assistant Director for Safety - College of Engineering Administration (A1700358)
Assistant Director for Safety
College of Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The College of Engineering seeks applicants for the position of Assistant Director for Safety. This position will serve as the focal point of safety management and administration in the College, supporting and addressing the needs of constituents within the College. The Assistant Director reports to the Associate Dean for Facilities and Capital Planning in the College of Engineering.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Proactively advance the College's culture of safety, safety policies, and safety procedures by effectively addressing the wide-ranging existing and potential needs of various constituents within the College (faculty, administrators, staff, and students) and their units. Examples of such needs include, but are not limited to: research laboratory safety, instructional laboratory safety, occupational safety, public safety, emergency planning, and safety compliance.
- Plan, organize, develop and implement safety program elements, as well as formulate safety policy and procedure recommendations for the College.
- Interact and engage with existing safety and facilities staff in College units, coordinating with them on an informal basis as needs arise.
- Liaise with and draw upon the expertise of existing safety organizations on campus (campus-level: Division of Research Safety, Division of Safety and Compliance, and the Division of Public Safety; and safety and facilities staff in units across campus) interfacing and coordinating with these individuals and organizations to effectively address College safety needs.
- Appropriately interact with external organizations (ranging from local fire and police departments to federal organizations with safety interests) in support of College safety needs.
- Manage and supervise the Safety Engineer through the delegation and oversight of tasks and performance management.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Science or a safety-related field
- Three years of related experience, specifically including experience with safety compliance in a research environment
- Excellent interpersonal, as well as oral and written communication skills
- Proven organizational skills; ability to concurrently manage multiple, complex tasks, projects and programs
- Ability to interact effectively with both internal and external constituents
- Ability to operate as a generalist, supported by experts
- An aptitude for learning new skills, tools and processes
- Masters or PhD in Engineering, Science or a safety-related field
- Supervisory experience, including delegation of tasks and performance management
- Ability to define and streamline processes and procedures
- Ability to both think strategically and react quickly in a dynamic environment
The Assistant Director for Safety is a full-time, benefits-eligible academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three references as a single PDF file by July 10, 2017. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Sarah Musselman, email@example.com, 217-244-1056.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Engineering
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Assistant Director for Safety - College of Engineering Administration (A1700358)
Open Date: 06/13/2017
Organization Name: Engineering Administration