Associate Director of Development and Alumni Relations - School of Labor and Employment Relations (
Associate Director of Development and Alumni Relations
School of Labor and Employment Relations
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The School of Labor and Employment Relations seeks an Associate Director of Development and Alumni Relations to secure private support from alumni and friends. A recognized leader in education and research, the School of Labor and Employment Relations (LER) prepares students for exciting careers in human resources and industrial relations. Founded in 1946, the School has both masters and doctoral programs, as well as a statewide labor education program.
The Associate Director of Development has a dual report to the Dean of the School and to the Senior Associate Vice Chancellor for the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Institutional Advancement, working closely with other members of the administrative team in the School to carry out the Advancement priorities for the School. The Associate Director of Development builds relationships, develops strategies and implements programs that will lead to and result in the successful philanthropic support of the academic priorities of the School and the philanthropic interest of donors.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Works with senior administrators to identify and define priority needs to be funded through private support
- Strategize and implements a segmented qualification program for leadership annual giving and major gifts; implement effective strategies for sustainable growth in annual giving
- Prepares proposals for donor prospects; determines purpose, timeframe, giving vehicle, and solicitation level for verbal and written proposals based on assessment of the prospect's interests and capacity for giving
- Maintains the stewardship processes for the School through reporting, ongoing contact and public recognition of gifts; ensures gifts secured to the School are used in accordance with the donor's intent
- Manages the development and execution of alumni outreach activities, including appropriate regional and annual alumni events
- Collaborates with all members of LER administration to provide personalized service for and build strong relationships with alumni and current students; implements and evaluates programs designed to serve the School's alumni and to encourage increased alumni support of and engagement with the School
- Coordinates communications and publications related to the LER's fundraising and alumni relations with the School's Chief Communications Officer, including: newsletters, social media, and targeted emails
- Assists senior administration with the LER Alumni Advisory Board, with the goal of supporting School priorities
- Ability to travel 30-40% of the time, and work evenings/weekends, as necessary; determines appropriate use of resources for travel to prioritize destinations nationally, to meet with alumni and friends for the purpose of building relationships leading to support of LER
- Participates in ongoing campus training for fundraising professionals; uses knowledge of university, campus and School, as well as knowledge of fundraising policies to ensure timely, accurate responses for requests for information
- Coordinates with administration to approve time, assign work and assist with performance evaluations of one support staff member
- Represents the School at appropriate campus meetings; facilitate effective collaborative relationships with the Office of Institutional Advancement, the University of Illinois Foundation, the University of Illinois Alumni Association, and other campus advancement officers
- Understands and adheres to the Association of Fundraising Professionals Donor Bill of Rights which is endorsed by the Office of Institutional Advancement.
- Bachelor's degree required; master's degree preferred
- Demonstrated ability to build and sustain relationships and represent an organization in visits with key constituents
- At least two years of success in Advancement or a closely related field (such as sales, marketing, communications, financial planning, etc.).
- Demonstrated interest in and ability to represent the School in one-on-one visits with key constituents
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal and writing skills
- Ability to maintain sensitive and confidential information.
- Basic understanding of major donor prospect qualification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship.
- Basic knowledge of higher education administration.
To ensure full consideration, application materials must be received by June 27, 2017. Please complete your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a letter of application, resume and the names, addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses of three professional references. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Brenda Morris at email@example.com . The proposed starting date is as soon as possible after the closing date.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: School of Labor and Employment Relations
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Associate Director of Development and Alumni Relations - School of Labor and Employment Relations (A1700357)
Open Date: 06/13/2017
Organization Name: Ofc VC Inst Advancement