Working Title: Laboratory Specialist
Position Type: University Operational and Administrative Staff
Department: Department of Medicine, Endocrinology and Metabolism
Posting Date: 06-13-2017
The Department of Medicine, Endocrinology and Metabolism Division at the University of Virginia is seeking a Lab Specialist to provide technical lab support by performing complex lab and research related tasks. The incumbent will act as a specialist on research methods and equipment functions specific to investigations.
The incumbent will perform complex experiments supporting the research protocols, including techniques of protein chemistry, biomolecular analysis, molecular biology, cell biology, as well as collect records and verify data from experiments conducted.
This position also performs literature searches and will present findings at meetings; orders lab supplies; and cleans and maintains equipment.
Qualified candidates must have a Bachelor's degree in Biology, Chemistry, or a related science, and a minimum of three years of laboratory experience. Experience gained as a student may be considered.
This position is restricted and contingent upon the continuation of funding.
The University of Virginia is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1.Ability to conduct complex research activities and make decisions according to ethical standards.
2. Ability to understand laboratory processes and procedures and perform minor data analysis.
3. Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
4. Knowledge of general laboratory procedures, basic safety precautions, and laboratory equipment.
5. Excellent written and communication skills.
6. Ability to follow instructions.
7. Ability to handle samples and laboratory equipment.
8. Willingness to work with mice.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=82100