ASSIST TO DEAN
ASSIST TO DEAN
NSOE Central Admin
Provide direct administrative support to the Dean of the Nicholas School and the Sr. Associate Dean for Administration and Finance; work closely with the Sr. Associate Dean for Academic Initiatives, and the Director of HR and Administrative Services on a variety of administrative matters that involve the dean or are on his behalf.
This position is full-time with Duke benefits through June 30, 2018, with possibility for extension. The term limit is due to the impending search for a permanent dean of the Nicholas School.
Reports to: Dean and Senior Associate Dean for Administration & Finance
- Maintain complex calendar required for the Dean; manage sensitive "traffic control" for appointments, often with senior ranking officials within and outside the University.
- Insure Dean is provided with sufficient details and preparation for meetings.
- Maintain the calendar and provide administrative support for the Sr. Associate Dean for Administration and Finance.
- Work closely with the Sr. Associate Dean for Administration and Finance and the Director of HR on items above and other administrative matters in support of the Dean.
- Work closely with Dean and Sr. Associate Dean for Administration and Finance on presentations and PowerPoints.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of School policies and procedures as appropriate.
- Make travel arrangements for the Dean and provide detailed itineraries of those plans.
- Attend meetings and take meeting notes as needed.
- On behalf of the Dean, draft letters to various recipients and announcements to the community working with other administrative leaders and faculty administrative support staff in the school.
- Help to facilitate school-wide meetings and functions, working closely with the School's director of events.
- Oversee incoming correspondence and requests for the Dean's attention; route problems and correspondence to other staff members as appropriate; point out items that need immediate attention and those that can wait.
- Work with APT administrative support person and HR director on faculty contracts and offer letters.
- Assist the HR Director with other sensitive administrative tasks when needed and available.
- Maintain liaison with all levels of administration and faculty to coordinate and resolve problems and issues relative to academic and administrative matters of an internal and external nature.
- Serve on School's administrative team; keep abreast of status of activities relating to programs, initiatives, and faculty in the School.
- Serve as the Dean's liaison with the School's Development Department to interface with the Board of Visitors and other key donors in the Nicholas School.
- Assist the Dean with such duties as may be assigned or delegated to provide services designed to meet the needs of Nicholas School faculty, students, and staff, as well as the University's upper administration.
- Bachelor's degree, Master's degree preferred
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Experience editing and composing letters
- Highly organized, interest and/or background in workflow efficiency and process improvement
- Advanced technical skills including strong PowerPoint and Excel skills
- Advanced Microsoft Outlook and Word skills
- Strong professionalism and integrity
- Excellent judgement; ability to pick up nuances in communications and matters and involve others as needed
- Ability and willingness to uphold a strict level of confidentiality; manage sensitive material with the upmost integrity
- A team player and willingness and desire to help multiple constituents in a positive manner
- Excellent representative of the School and commitment to the mission of the Nicholas School of the Environment
- Able to work flexible hours depending on needs of the office
2767 ASSIST TO DEAN
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion,sexual orientation, or veteran status.Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires knowledge of communications and administrative practicesand principles generally acquired through two years post-secondaryeducation.
Work requires the ability to coordinate the compilation and dissemination of a variety of information, to plan and implement special events, and to supervise office activities, generally acquired through four years of related experience.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.