Lab Specialist 1
Working Title: Lab Specialist 1
Position Type: University Operational and Administrative Staff
Department: Department of Pediatrics
Posting Date: 02-13-2017
The Department of Pediatrics at the University of Virginia located in Charlottesville, VA is seeking a Lab Specialist 1 to provide technical lab support by performing complex lab and research related tasks. Duties will include acting as specialist on research methods and equipment functions specific to investigations; and performing complex experiments supporting the research protocols, including maintaining a mouse colony and planning and implementing breeding schemes. This position also provides training for students and other lab personnel in a classroom-like setting, including teaching laboratory techniques to visiting students, residents, and physicians, and providing oversight of work being conducted in the laboratory by students and other personnel as needed. Performs literature searches and presents findings at meetings; orders lab supplies; and cleans and maintains equipment.
Posting requires a minimum of Master's Degree or foreign equivalent in Biology, Biochemistry, or a related science and a minimum of three years of lab exp. using molecular biology, immunology, or genetic approaches to address relevant scientific experiments. Also requires experience (no minimum) in working with small animals (particularly neonatal rodents) in research models. Experience gained as a student may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Ability to resolve problems.
2. Ability to work in a busy lab with multiple PIs.
3. Ability to work accurately with attention to detail.
4. Knowledge of general laboratory procedures and equipment.
5. Ability to analyze and organize work procedures.
6. Strong organization and communication skills.
7. Skilled in using small animals (particularly neonatal rodents) in research models.
8. Ability to plan and execute tasks or experiments.
9. Ability to modify and develop lab procedures.
10. Ability to accurately interpret and report findings.
12. Ability to independently conduct laboratory experiments.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=79845