Part Time Cleaner
Part Time Cleaner-1701770
Required Qualifications: Per Civil Service Standards and Specifications. There are no education or experience requirements. Applicants must be physically able to perform medium to heavy physical labor. Must be able to move heavy objects. Examples: trash bags, bags of salt and ice, floor machines and shoveling snow. Must be able to understand and follow simple verbal and written instructions in English. Must successfully pass a pulmonary function test to certify them to wear protective equipment; for example respirators. (The test shall be provided by the department).
Preferred Qualifications: High School Diploma/GED.
Brief Description of Duties: Cleaners perform a variety of routine manual tasks requiring light, medium, and heavy physical effort in cleaning and caring for an assigned area in public buildings and adjacent grounds and sidewalks. The incumbent must perform the following duties continuously throughout their shift. The selected candidate will:
- Using mops, brushes, detergents, buffers, floor scrubbers and other cleaning implements, wash floors, corridors, stairs and stairwells, walls, partitions, windows from the inside of the building etc. Walls are cleaned from the ceiling to the floor.
- Using manual and/or mechanical equipment strips and waxes floors, vacuums and shampoos carpets. Using hand dusting equipment, dusts assigned areas.
- Pick up and remove hazardous (and non-hazardous) articles which may be on floors, furniture and equipment and places them in designated receptacles or in appropriate places. Move furniture and equipment in connection with cleaning and care functions.
- Using hand operated equipment and detergents, scrubs and cleans all areas of lavatories, such as sinks, urinals, toilets, etc.
- Using designated equipment polishes and clean wood and metal fixtures and equipment.
- Pick-up recycling as scheduled and breaks down cardboard. Make sure that all items are stored properly.
- Using appropriate equipment such as ladders and scaffolds, wash light fixtures, replace light bulbs, dust and/or wash light fixtures and high places such as ceilings.
- Empties trash, recyclables, and waste in accordance with cleaning schedules.
- Interacts appropriately with customers and responds to their needs accordingly. If further assistance is required, notifies supervisor.
- Using manual and/or mechanical equipment, occasionally remove snow and ice on outdoor walkways and staircases, salt and clean walkways and adjacent grounds when necessary.
- Other duties or projects as assigned as appropriate to rank and departmental mission.
Special Notes: This is a part-time position, 20 hours per week, Monday through Friday, 12:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. FLSA Nonexempt position, eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously. Mandatory rehire roster candidates have preference.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation.
Essential Position: This has been designated as an essential position based on the duties of the job and the functions performed. Positions that are designated as such are required to report to work/remain at work even if classes are cancelled, and the campus is working on limited operations in an emergency.
Stony Brook University will be 100% tobacco-free starting January 1, 2016. See our policy and learn more at stonybrook.edu/tobaccofree.
About Stony Brook: Stony Brook University, home to many highly ranked graduate research programs, is located 60 miles from New York City on Long Island's scenic North Shore. Our 1,100-acre campus is home to 24,000 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students and more than 13,500 faculty and staff.
SBU is a comprehensive research-intensive university and a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU), which includes 34 public universities among its 62 members. SBU consists of 12 schools and colleges and a teaching hospital that provides state-of-the-art healthcare in the Long Island region. SBU also manages and performs joint research with Brookhaven National Laboratory, the only Department of Energy Laboratory in the Northeast, and shares doctoral programs with Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, a world-renowned molecular biology institute. Home to the Emerson String Quartet, the Jackson Pollock-Krasner House in East Hampton, New York, Humanities Institute, and the Southampton Arts Program, and with endeavors that extend to the Turkana Basin Institute in Kenya and the Ranomafana National Park in Madagascar, SBU sustains an international reputation that cuts across the arts, humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences.
Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
If you need a disability related accommodation, please call the University Human Resource Services Department at (631) 632-6161 or the University Hospital Human Resources Department at (631) 444-4700. In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act, a copy of our crime statistics is available upon request by calling (631) 632-6350. It can also be viewed online at the University Police website at http://www.stonybrook.edu/police.
Official Job Title: Cleaner
Job Field: Cleaners
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: West Campus Custodial Services-Stony Brook University
Schedule: Part-time Day Shift Monday-Friday 12:00PM to 4:00PMWest Campus Custodial Services-Stony Brook University
Posting Start Date: Jun 13, 2017
Posting End Date: Jun 27, 2017, 10:59:00 PM
Salary: As per civil service guidelines
Salary Grade: SG5