Senior Category Manager
Requisition # 2017-7659
Department Procurement Services
Category Financial Services and Procurement
Date Posted 5 months ago
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Princeton University's Office of Finance and Treasury seeks an accomplished leader for the newly established position of Senior Category Manager-IT in the central Procurement Services function. This role requires an influential individual capable of driving transformational change across the Source-to-Pay (S2P) lifecycle, while balancing the demanding and challenging requirements of a dynamic, world class education and research institution. With a primary focus on hardware, software, and services in the IT category, the ideal candidate will also be required to demonstrate versatility across a range of categories.
This role is expected to deliver measurable value to the University, leading strategic sourcing projects for the most complex and impactful areas of spend and University need. Blending technical competency, a collaborative investigative approach, and the insights gained from rigorous analytics, he/she will synthesize multiple sources of information into compelling business cases and category plans. Partnering with a wide range of stakeholders, he/she will execute the plans through strategic sourcing, contract negotiations, and implementation of the selected suppliers across a diverse campus community.
In addition, to support the transformation initiatives, this position provides direction and guidance to procurement buyers and plays a key part in educating and supporting University partners on process efficiencies, system capabilities, and the value procurement provides across the S2P lifecycle.
- Develop compelling business cases to deliver long term value through the synthesis of analytics, stakeholder requirements, and market dynamics
- Lead and perform strategic sourcing activities using electronic RFx portal
- Collaborate with stakeholders to build demand management, specification, bundling, and other strategies into the value proposition while balancing social objectives such as diversity and sustainability.
- Lead the negotiations, contracting, and enablement of new supplier agreements.
- Educate campus stakeholders and create supplier agreements to ensure the user experience during the Procure-to-Pay (P2P) process is optimized
- Meet regularly with campus constituents to identify savings and service opportunities, monitor contract compliance and facilitate the exchange of information to enhance the user experience and improve supplier performance.
Contract and Supplier Enablement
- Develop a thorough understanding of user requirements in advance of the RFx to inform the change management and communications activities during project implementation
- Ensure the establishment of a hosted or punch-out catalog on the electronic Marketplace
- Ensure the desired portfolio of supplier catalogs and content are displayed to shoppers
- Work collaboratively with project managers, communications staff, technical administrators, and affected campus departments to ensure the successful launch of new, competitively awarded suppliers
- Leverage skill and judgment to create, negotiate, and execute contracts necessary to achieve user objectives and minimize university risk
- Evaluate and resolve contractual issues in order to approve complex, high dollar purchase orders to ensure process and policy compliance, value and risk are optimized, and the achievement of University objectives is optimized.
- As owner of the category, leverage internal and external data, market intelligence, and good strategic sourcing practices to deliver a balance between short term results with long term and strategic objectives
- Manage the contract portfolio within the category and assign ownership as required for non-strategic contracts to the appropriate Buyer
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field
- 7-10 years of experience in strategic sourcing and/or category management
- Ability to collaborate with and lead cross-functional teams to drive change
- Experienced using electronic sourcing tools
- Excellent communications skills
- Ability to manage multiple priorities
- Analytical skill to convert complex and conflicting data sets into actionable requirements
- Advanced negotiation skills with ability to leverage contract terms and conditions
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office Tools (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- CPM or CPSM certification
- MBA, MS, or other advanced degree
- Category leadership across the IT category including hardware, software, and services
- Experience working in a higher education or non-mandate environment
- Experience with the PeopleSoft purchasing application
- Experience with Jaegger (formerly SciQuest) eProcurement tools
- Experience managing staff
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.