JOB NO.: 91113-AS
Work Type: Staff-Full Time
Department: BUS SVC/ACCOUNTING
Categories: Accounting, Finance, Purchasing
Employment Class: Academic Staff-Renewable
Position Vacancy ID: 91113-AS
Working Title: Accountant
Official Title: ACCOUNTANT(R10DN) or ASSOC ACCOUNTANT(R10FN)
Hiring Department: A030500-BUSINESS SERVICES/ACCOUNTING
Anticipated Begin Date: JULY 15, 2017
Term: This is a renewable appointment.
ANNUAL (12 months)
Degree and Area of Specialization:
Bachelor's degree is accounting and or business is highly preferred.
Minimum number of years and type of relevant work experience:
Two or more years of experience working in an accounting financial system and knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) is required.
1. Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and theories.
2. Knowledge of or ability to interpret the State of Wisconsin statutes, federal regulations and administrative rules.
3. Knowledge of or ability to learn the university, college and department policies.
4. Excellent organization and project management skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks and to handle pressure.
5. Excellent understanding of system integration and customer acceptance testing methodologies.
6. Demonstrates extensive problem solving ability.
7. Knowledge and skills in working with WISDM reporting tools, general ledger financial applications, SFS Accounts Payable, and Perceptive Content. Capable of performing extensive inquiries in all systems.
8. Knowledge of the banking rules, regulations and web based banking software.
9. Ability to work independently as well as with teams.
10. Strong human relations skills, including the ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with all staff and a diversity of people.
11. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
12. Knowledge or the ability to learn the UW System accounting code structure.
13. Knowledge of the budgeting, accounting, and purchasing processes.
14. Use of work processing, spreadsheet, project management and scheduling software.
15. Knowledge of computer applications, automated accounting systems and general financial applications.
16. Advanced Excel Skills.
Under the general supervision of the UW-Madison Accounts Payable Financial Program Manager in the Controller's office at UW-Madison, this position is a professional accountant who manages processes and systems which are used by UW-Madison to collect financial information. This financial information is used to trigger processing activities in the UW System's Shared Financial System (SFS) and related subsidiary ledgers. This position requires the knowledge and application of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), broad variety of University funding sources, federal regulations, State of Wisconsin, UW System and UW-Madison campus rules, regulations and guidelines.
This role has frequent contact with various levels of users both internal and external to the central campus organization regarding information on the financial system. Responsibilities include the independent audit of complex and difficult financial transactions. Daily correction of transactions rejected during processing to the UW accounting control system as well as audit and release of activity for documents relating to the daily check production. Image, voucher and interest reconciliation of Accounts Payable payment transactions. Accounts Payable monthly, quarterly and annual General Ledger closing activities including applicable financial data reporting and preparing transactions for required journal entries.
Instructions to applicants:
To apply for this position you will need to submit a cover letter, resume, and provide three professional references. Please include in your cover letter:
Experience working in an accounting financial system and knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
Experience working with and creating complex spreadsheets
Experience working with SQL or other database query.
Additional Link: Full Position Details
NOTE: A Period of Evaluation will be Required
The University of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report contains current campus safety and disciplinary policies, crime statistics for the previous 3 calendar years, and on-campus student housing fire safety policies and fire statistics for the previous 3 calendar years. UW-Madison will provide a paper copy upon request; please contact the University of Wisconsin Police Department.
Advertised: 13 Jun 2017 Central Daylight Time
Application Close: 27 Jun 2017 11:55 PM Central Daylight Time