Medical Billing Specialist
Posting Number C836P
Quick Link for Posting http://jobs.uark.edu/postings/20944
Working Title Medical Billing Specialist
Position Number 14671
Department Health Center
About the University
Founded in 1871 as a land grant institution, the University of Arkansas is classified by the Carnegie Foundation among the top two percent of universities in the nation with the highest level of research activity. Ten colleges and schools serve more than 27,100 students with more than 200 academic programs. University of Arkansas students earn nationally competitive awards at an impressive rate and represent 50 states and more than 120 countries.
Located in the stunning Ozark Mountains of Northwest Arkansas, Fayetteville is home to the University of Arkansas campus, known for its spectacular views and ample green spaces. Fayetteville is considered one of the country's finest college towns, and the surrounding northwest Arkansas region is regularly ranked one of the best places to live in the U.S. Some of the nation's best outdoor amenities and most spectacular hiking trails are within a short drive of campus.
As an employer, the University of Arkansas offers a vibrant work environment and a workplace culture that promotes a healthy work-life balance. The benefits package includes university contributions to health, dental, life and disability insurance, tuition waivers for employees and their families, 12 official holidays, immediate leave accrual, and a choice of retirement programs with university contributions ranging from 5 to 10% of employee salary.
About the College/Department
The Pat Walker Health Center provides a wide range of medical care and services for students, faculty and staff at the University of Arkansas. The Pat Walker Health Center is accredited by AAAHC and delivers exception patient care.
Department Home Page health.uark.edu
Job Type Staff
Summary of Job Duties
The Medical Billing Specialist must be proficient with ICD10 coding with familiarity of medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, and outpatient medical office coding/billing (e.g. CPT). Primary job duties include verifying that visit documentation aligns with provider coding, preparing daily deposits, assisting customers with billing related questions and serves as a resource for other PWHC personnel in billing related matters. This position provides coverage, when needed, at medical clinic intake areas. Portions of this job are administrative for the health center to include purchasing, inventory control, as well as, attendance and taking minutes at all medical staff meetings.
Regular, reliable, and non-disruptive attendance is an essential job duty, as is the ability to create and maintain collegial, harmonious working relationships with others.
Minimum Qualifications: Please ensure that all relevant application materials include details addressing the minimum qualifications. Applicants not meeting the minimum qualifications will be disqualified from consideration.
- The formal education equivalent of a high school diploma
- At least three years of experience in healthcare or related field
Does this job require any license(s)/certification(s)? Yes
If yes, please specify
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC) in ICD10
- Proficient in physician based outpatient medical office coding
- Familiarity with medical terminology and certification in health information management field
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- Knowledge of CPT procedural coding
- Knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy and physiology and physician based outpatient medical office coding
- Knowledge of departmental operations, policies and procedures
- Knowledge of applicable State and federal laws and regulations (e.g. insurance industry, HIPAA, FERPA)
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent interpersonal and conflict resolution skills
- Proficient skills in windows based computer systems and internet and ability to navigate electronic medical record and utilize various internet based insurance web sites
Physical activities associated with this position
For questions regarding reasonable accommodations please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Compliance 479-575-4019.
- Manipulate items with fingers, including keyboarding
- Repetitive motion
The worker is required to have visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading; and/or visual inspection at distances close to the eyes.
Physical Conditions None. The worker is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions (such as in typical office or administrative work).
Work Schedule Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Overtime Eligible Yes
Is this position weather/event essential? If yes, the employee in this position will report to work at the scheduled time when the University is closed due to inclement conditions. No
Work Location/Building Fayetteville Campus - Pat Walker Health Center
Benefits Eligible Yes
Appointment Percent 100
Pay Grade Level C113
Does this Position require a Motor Vehicle Reports Check? No
Does this position require a background check? Yes
If yes, please specify
- Criminal background check
- Sex offender registry check
- Financial history background check
Does this position require a substance abuse test? No
Pre-employment Screening Requirements
This position is subject to a pre-employment criminal background check, sex offender registry check, and financial history background check. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication or adverse financial history information alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Posting Detail Information
Future Open Date 06/14/2017
Close Date 06/28/2017
Open Until Filled No
Anticipated Start Date 08/01/2017
Anticipated End Date (for temporary appointments)
Recruitment Contact Information
All application materials must be uploaded to the U of A's employment system at jobs.uark.edu. Please do not send to listed recruitment contact.
Special Instructions Summary
Applicants must submit a resume and cover letter/letter of application. Applicants have the option to submit a copy of a Certified Professional Coder (CPC) in ICD10 certification.
Hiring Location 222 Administration Building Fayetteville, AR 72701.
The University of Arkansas is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution. The university welcomes applications without regard to age, race/color, gender (including pregnancy), national origin, disability, religion, marital or parental status, protected veteran status, military service, genetic information, sexual orientation or gender identity. Persons must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States on the first day of employment. All applicant information is subject to public disclosure under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act.
Internal Posting No
City, St. Fayetteville, AR
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have the formal education of a high school diploma or equivalent?
- * Do you have at least three years of experience in healthcare or a related field?
- * Do you currently hold a Certified Professional Coder (CPC) certification with proficiency in ICD10?
- * Do you have experience with electronic medical records?
- Combined electric and paper records
- * Do you have experience with cash handling (e.g. accepting payments, posting charges in automated system, etc.)?
- * Please describe your experience providing superior customer service.
(Open Ended Question)
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Proof of Veterans Status