Internship Coordinator (College of Humanities and Social Sciences)
Reporting to the Assistant Dean of the College of Humanities and Social Sciences (CHSS), the Internship Coordinator is a professional part-time, temporary position that serves as a support for the CHSS Match Internship Program. Established in 2013, the CHSS Match Internship Program connects CHSS students with various employers within and outside of the University. The CHSS Internship Coordinator assists students with preparing for, locating, and securing internships for monetary compensation and/or academic credit. The CHSS Match GA also engages in outreach to potential employers, active recruitment of student interns, and training of student assistants for the program.
The following description addresses the general duties and responsibilities of the CHSS Internship Coordinator position. This document does not cover all job expectations or specific procedures for completing these responsibilities. All employees are expected to review and abide by additional policies and specific procedures described in other documents including manuals, as well as all local, state and federal laws.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee intern recruitment and preparation for placement through a resume critique, mock interview, and orientation process Match employers and interns, and follow-up as necessary to provide support throughout the internshipCounsel current CHSS students and alumni on internship opportunities, career goals, and job search strategiesRecruit, train, counsel and develop a team of one undergraduate Student Coordinator for Employer Relations and approximately 4 undergraduate student CHSS Match interns Collaborate with academic departments within CHSS to develop for-credit internship pathwaysAssist in the expansion of the program through new employer partnerships, alumni engagement, student enrollment and retention, and on and off-campus presentations Maintain accurate student and employer records and understand the institution’s interpretation of FERPA rules for releasing student information Foster and maintain intentional relationships with the CHSS Dean’s office, the Office of Career Advancement, Alumni Affairs, faculty, and instructors of the Internship in Applied Liberal Arts course Co-Coordinate “Career Connections” events once a semester and the CHSS Appreciation Dinner at the end of the year with the Assistant Dean
Expected Time Commitment:
- The CHSS Internship Coordinator is a part-time position that constitutes a 20-hour per week commitment. The position will involve occasional commitments that fall outside of the agreed upon schedule. Weekly hours will be adjusted to accommodate these commitments.
- The CHSS Internship Coordinator start date is Tuesday, August 1st, 2017– Friday, June 29th, 2018. Continuation of employment may be possible if funding allows.
Supervision and Evaluation:
- The CHSS Internship Coordinator is supervised by the Assistant Dean of CHSS. Regular formal and informal meetings with the Assistant Dean will promote a culture of collaboration and ongoing feedback.
- $20/hour over the course of the contract term.
- Bachelor's degree required. The ideal candidate will be in pursuit of or in possession of a Masters degree in higher education, counseling, or related field.
- Experience with career counseling and internship preparation is preferred.
- Work autonomously with limited direct supervision;
- Effectively oversee a team;
- Demonstrate organization, communication and presentation skills;
- Analyze and compile data from survey tools;
- Demonstrate professional communication and presentation skills;
- Critically examine student concerns and exercise problem-solving skills; and
- Work proficiently with Microsoft Office applications.
Rowan University values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity in employment. All positions are contingent upon budget appropriations.