Department Administrative Assistant (Administrative Support Coordinator II)
Note: This is a full-time (equivalent to 40 hours per week), probationary, non-exempt position.
The Department of Modern and Classical Languages and Literatures believes that the study of a language should enable the student to participate in oral and written communication in the language, gain knowledge and understanding of the cultures of the world, connect with other disciplines and acquire knowledge that may be unavailable to the monolingual English speaker, develop insight into the nature of language and culture, and participate in communities at home and abroad.
Under the supervision of the Department Chair, this position coordinates all clerical and administrative support functions for full-time and part-time faculty, and teaching associates in the Department of Modern and Classical Languages and Literatures. Assignments are varied and complex and involve maintaining positive working relationships with various personnel throughout the campus and the community. The ASC II also interacts regularly with a diverse population of undergraduate and graduate students. Work is performed under general direction, requiring considerable self-motivation, innovation, judgment and discretion.
- Provide comprehensive office coordination for the department
- Assist the Department Chair in administering department budget
- Maintain the department budget and financial records, monitor budget balances, and track and compare data
- Maintain foundation and state accounts processing requisitions and reimbursements
- In consultation with the Department Chair, prepare the course schedule each semester and secure necessary classrooms
- Interview, hire, train, and provide lead direction to Student Assistants
- Coordinate ongoing tasks as preparing contracts for lecturers, TA, and ISA,balancing faculty workload and completing FAD reports, performance appraisals, attendance reconciliation, catalog copy, office and equipment assignments, and student assistant time entry
- Develop original correspondence and complex reports
- Coordinate all aspects of assigned duties: planning, preparing, organizing, collecting, and maintaining student ratings, course syllabi, and Key Request Orders
- Serve as liaison for usage and troubleshooting on the department copy machine
- Coordinate the processes for all faculty, staff and student travel applications and claims through Concur Travel
- Requisition, store and distribute office supplies for department use
- Reserve facilities for faculty functions through 25Live or other offices
- Schedule, arrange and maintain department calendar of events and meetings
- Coordinate the department's Credit by Examination process
- Create and distribute flyers, brochures, and other recruiting and publicity materials
- Maintain the department web site and social media presence
- Maintain all student and faculty files
- Coordinate extensive clerical and technical support for the department's various programs and special projects, including (but not limited to) the Teaching Credential Program, TA Program, undergraduate Major Advising, MA Program, and Student Organizations
- Provide assistance with special events such as readings, campus visits by guest writers or scholars, conferences or colloquia
- Provide clerical and procedural assistance to the department's various committees (including full and part time hiring committees)
- Interpret and provide guidance to faculty and staff on university policies and procedures, including RTP process
- Take official minutes at department meetings
- Other related duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills &amp; Abilities:
- Comprehensive and in-depth knowledge of the university infrastructure, policies, and procedures
- Thorough mastery of English grammar, punctuation, and spelling
- Expertise in using office software packages, technology, and systems including the internet, e-mail, and Microsoft Word and Excel
- Thorough knowledge of office methods, practices and procedures
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills to handle multiple work projects and priorities
- Ability to:
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Draft and compose effective and accurate correspondence, minutes, guidelines, and reports
- Work with frequent interruptions in a fast-paced work environment
- Work in a flexible collaborative manner with faculty and staff and provide strong customer service to the campus community
- Coordinate many different administrative tasks, set appropriate priorities and deadlines, and complete all projectsaccurately and efficiently
- Use and quickly learn new software, hardware, and other office technology as needed
- Analyze operational, administrative and procedural problems and develop, recommend and evaluate proposed strategies and procedures to improve office management
- Interpret and apply policies and procedures using judgment and discretion
- Work independently and take initiative
- Perform business math, analyze budgetary and enrollment data
- Provide lead direction, training, and guidance to student assistants
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with faculty, students and staff from diverse ethnic, cultural and socio-economic backgrounds
- A history of regular attendance and positive performance evaluations.
Education and Experience:
- High school program, technical/vocational program or equivalent
- Four years of progressively responsible administrative experience with a wide variety of duties and responsibilities
- Experience utilizing a record management system (i.e. PeopleSoft Administration)
- Strong experience and proficiency in the use of office software packages (i.e. Microsoft Word and Excel)
- Experience to be fully functional in all technical aspects of work assignments including Schedule of Courses
- Experience maintaining and reconciling financial data/budgets and generating spreadsheets/reports using financial data management systems (i.e. CFS Datawarehouse)
- Experience with following applications: PeopleSoft (Financial, Human Resources and Student Administration), Concur Travel, 25Live Scheduling System, Listserv, FileMaker Pro, InDesign, and Photoshop
- Experience working in an institution of higher education
- Experience providing administrative support to an academic department head
- Recent experience developing and monitoring budgets
- Experience with social media management
- Experience with Omni Update
June 23, 2017
Complete the required fields on the online application, a resume, and three professional references, including telephone numbers, are required. A cover letter that addresses your qualifications for the position is also required. Full consideration will not be given to applicants who fail to complete all application requirements.
Pursuant to Executive Order 1088, reasonable accommodation is to be provided upon request from an employee or applicant with disabilities, unless doing so would impose an undue hardship on the campus. What constitutes a reasonable accommodation is to be determined by the campus on a case-by-case basis after it has received the individual's request for accommodation and engaged in an interactive process. Employees or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation should contact Human Resources directly at (559) 278-2032.
How To Apply:
To apply for this or any open position at Fresno State visit our online employment site at: http://jobs.csufresno.edu/
Pursuant to the requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, any offer of employment is contingent upon verification of individual's eligibility to be employed in the United States.
California State University, Fresno, in conjunction with the CSU policy, requires that the successful candidate complete a full background check (including a criminal records check) prior to assuming this position. Failure to satisfactorily complete or pass the background check may impact the job offer or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for posted positions identified as sensitive.
California State University, Fresno annual security report includes statistics for the previous three years concerning reported crimes that occurred on campus, in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by Fresno State, and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to or accessible from the campus. The report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security, alcohol/drug use, crime prevention, reporting of crimes, sexual assault, and other matters. You can obtain a copy of this report by contacting the Campus Police Department or by accessing the following web site: http://www.fresnostate.edu/adminserv/police/clery/index.html
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. You can obtain a copy of this Executive order by accessing the following web site: http://www.calstate.edu/eo/EO-1083.html
This position may be a "designated position" in the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position may be required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission.
Other Applicant Information:
Applicants will receive confirmation of receipt of their application materials via automatic email reply. In addition, qualified applicants will receive email notification at the conclusion of the recruitment process.
It is the policy of the California State University to fill vacant positions represented by the California State University Employees' Union (CSUEU) with qualified applicants currently employed on the campus. Other applicants may be selected when it is necessary to meet the best interests of the campus by obtaining specialized skills and abilities not available from campus applicants.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
California State University, Fresno is committed to maintaining and implementing employment policies and procedures in compliance with applicable state and federal equal employment opportunity laws and regulations. Executive Order 883 prohibits discrimination and Executive Order 927 prohibits harassment, on the basis of a protected status: race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex (including gender identity, per HR 2004-12), sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition and covered veteran status. Retaliation against individuals for complaining about these proscribed conduct, opposing such conduct, or participating in an investigation or proceeding involving such conduct is prohibited by both executive orders.
Further, California State University, Fresno's statement of commitment to equal employment opportunity principles is also found in the various collective bargaining agreements.
General Information:California State University, Fresno is one of 23 campuses in the California State University System. The University's mission is to offer high-quality educational opportunities to qualified students at the bachelor's and master's levels, and in certain applied disciplines, at the doctoral level. The current student enrollment is approximately 24,000, including a large percentage of students with diverse and culturally rich backgrounds. The University serves the San Joaquin Valley while maintaining deep involvement with the state, nation, and world. California State University, Fresno promotes student learning and community engagement through faculty scholarship and service learning opportunities in collaboration with community organizations, educational institutions, industry, business and government. The University was one of the first U.S. Colleges and Universities to be selected by The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching for its Community Engagement Classification.
Metropolitan Fresno, with a multi-ethnic population of over 600,000, is located in the heart of the San Joaquin Valley on the western edge of the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range. The campus is within driving distance of San Francisco, Los Angeles, Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks, the Monterey Peninsula, beaches, sailing, lakes, and numerous ski resorts. Fresno