Assistant Director of Admission
Assistant Director of Admission
Posting Number: S0366
Classification: Administrative/Professional Anticipated Length of Appointment: ongoing
Special area(s) of assignment (teaching/research/administration):
Willamette University is accepting applications for the position of Assistant Director of Admission within the Office of Admission.
The Assistant Director of Admission is essential to supporting the mission and enrollment goals of Willamette University and to ensuring the current and future academic quality and fiscal health of the University. The Assistant Director of Admission participates as part of the College of Liberal Arts Admission team in all admission-related activities including, but not limited to, management of an admission territory; high school visitations and University representation at college fairs; correspondence, telephone and email contacts; conducting on-and-off campus interviews; implementation of on-and off-campus events; review of applicant files; participation in merit scholarship recommendations; and daily execution of the communication and yield strategy for admitted students.
To learn more about the Office of Admission, please visit http://www.willamette.edu/admission
This is a full-time, year round position. This position is eligible for the University's generous benefits package that includes: medical/dental insurance, sick and vacation accruals, contribution of 10% of gross base pay from the University in exchange for a mandatory contribution of 1% by the employee, tuition remission, and holidays.
Salary range is commensurate with experience and education.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following functions:
• Meets and/or exceeds enrollment goals from the designated travel territory for the CLA Office of Admission.
• Five to six weeks of admission-related travel are expected; travel includes high school visits and college fairs; receptions for prospective and admitted students; off-campus interviews; and occasional professional conferences; works collaboratively with the admission team in deciding how to manage the assigned territory and exercises discretion in planning for travel, receptions and other special events.
• Formulates a telephone and email communication plan that follows the continuum from inquiry to application to matriculation in support of overall admission and net revenue goals.
• Conducts extensive on- and off-campus admission interviews for prospective students, including time for parents/family members; documents the interview in a formal written evaluation which is included in the applicant’s file.
• Conducts presentations to prospective students and their parents/families during on-campus visits. The presentations include general information regarding Willamette University and specific information regarding admission policies and procedures and financial aid opportunities.
• Application file review for Admission for the assigned territory and recommending students for admission or for review by the Admission Committee; must exercise good judgment regarding the academic, personal and co-curricular qualities Willamette desires in its student body; requires review and interpretation of transcripts, recommendations, standardized test scores, essays, interview notes and other information provided by the applicant.
• Serves as a member of the Admission Committee during application file review.
• Supports and participates in social networking initiatives for the CLA Office of Admission (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, blogs etc.).
• Safeguard the confidentiality of student, staff and university information by exercising discretion in communicating information to faculty, staff, parents, alumni and current and prospective students, and in handling departmental records and files and similar confidential materials.
• Demonstrate the highest professional demeanor and ethical behavior while representing the University. Outstanding speaking, writing and listening skills are required.
• Admission staff members are expected to read widely to remain current in external market conditions and identify best admission practices.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Additional Information/About the Department:
1. Bachelor’s degree required.
2. A minimum of two years of experience in working in admissions operation or related field.
3. Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to describe University programs and campus culture. The ability to articulate the value and benefits of a liberal arts education to a variety of audiences is essential.
4. The ability to work independently as well as establish and maintain collegial relations with other University staff, faculty and students is required.
5. The ability to work collaboratively as a member of a close and integrated team of admission professionals is required.
6. The ability to plan, organize and implement programs and projects related to the University’s enrollment goals is required.
7. Technology skills to support territory management, daily contact with students, faculty, staff and others, and to support the goals and mission of the University, are essential.
8. The Assistant Director of Admission needs to have an appreciation for college-age students and the varied nature and expectations of serving that population.
9. Significant travel required, plus some evenings and weekends.
10. A valid driver’s license is required.
11. This position is subject to a criminal conviction record check.
1. BA/BS from an independent residential liberal arts college.
2. Extensive knowledge of a University environment.
3. Extensive knowledge of undergraduate admission.
4. Bilingual, English/Spanish.
Thank you for considering an administrative position within Willamette University (WU). Please note that you will need to create an account in order to apply, if this is your first time applying online with WU.
You will be asked to submit the following documents as part of your application materials:
• Cover letter addressing the required/desired qualifications and presenting any other applicant characteristics which deserve emphasis
• Current Resume
• As part of the application, please include a list of at least three references (name, title, preferred contact information, and brief description working relationship to reference).
*Please complete all sections of the online application, do not leave sections blank.
Application Deadline: Open until finalists are selected with screening to begin immediately. Desired start date is August 1st, or sooner.
Open Date: 06/12/2017
Open Until Filled: Yes
Apply online at https://jobs.willamette.edu/postings/2394
Believing that diversity contributes to academic excellence and to rich and rewarding communities, WU is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body. We seek candidates, particularly those from historically under-represented groups, whose work furthers diversity and who bring to campus varied experiences, perspectives and backgrounds.