PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT - Head and Neck Surgery
PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT - Head and Neck Surgery
Head and Neck Surgery Communications Sci
The Advanced Practice Provider (APP) for Head and Neck Surgery & Communication Sciences provide direct patient care services and perform medical acts under the supervision of the MDs. The APP performs physical exams, collects and documents data, conducts diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, orders and schedules laboratory studies and professional consultations, prescribes appropriate interventions and medications, coordinates the care of patients in the ambulatory and possibly hospital settings, and provides direct patient care services.
Current clinic location is Duke South with plans for an additional location in Southpoint. Upon hire, a specific location will be agreed to but the successful candidate should be available to work at all locations at least occasionally dependent upon patient demand. This is a full-time Monday-Friday, dayshift position with no holidays or weekends.
Supervision / Leadership
APP will be assigned a supervising physician and will work in a team environment supporting both general ENT patients and related subspecialties.
Specific Job Responsibilities and Standards
The APP will augment a physician's ability to provide medical services to patients; collect and document data, conduct diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, order and schedule laboratory studies and professional consultations and provide direct patient care services.
Primary Work Performed:
- Perform diagnostic and therapeutic procedures to assist physician in diagnosing medical and surgical problems and prescribing necessary treatment and services for quality patient care; record the normal and abnormal data for review by the physician.
- Take patient histories, conduct physical examinations, and record the data in the patient's record; write progress notes and narrative discharge summaries; prepare patient workups and summaries noting pertinent positive and negative findings.
- Order and schedule laboratory studies and diagnostic procedures; explain the necessity, preparation, nature and anticipated effects of scheduled diagnostic and therapeutic procedures to the patient.
- Utilizes prescriptive privileges for identified patient populations.
- Communicate verbally and in writing all pertinent patient information to supervising MD, nursing staff, case manager, social worker, home health agency, and other relevant healthcare providers and especially those working in the multidisciplinary clinic setting.
- Document in the patients' chart (EMR) all relevant data including but not limited to results of diagnostic tests; laboratory results; patients' condition and response to therapies/interventions; communications with supervising MD.
- Participate in basic science and clinical research projects conducted by supervising physician; prepare statistical reports and analyses setting forth progress, adverse trends and appropriate recommendations or conclusions.
- Participate in teaching medical students and physician assistant students in techniques and procedures, which are unique to specific clinical setting.
- Collaborate and foster education of medical students, surgical residents, and Fellows.
- Assess educational needs of patients/families and provide patient/family education interventions as needed.
- Perform clinic procedures including but not limited to: flexible and rigid nasal and flexible nasolaryngeal endoscopy, myringotomy with/without tube placement, intratympanic steroid injections, biopsy of small cutaneous or mucosal lesions, incision and drainage of abscesses, simple excision of a lesion, suture and staple placement and removal, cerumen disimpaction, external auditory canal debridement, closed nasal fracture reduction, removal of maxillomandibular fixation hardware, BAHA hardware adjustment, scar steroid injection, control of nasal hemorrhage including cautery and nasal packing, auricular incision/drainage and bolstering, head and neck nerve block.
- Perform post-operative care and management
- Maintain all professional requirements for licensure, certification, and practice as an Advanced Practice provider at Duke University Medical Center and Hospital.
- Consistently demonstrate a personal commitment to Patient Health and Safety.
- Practices excellent customer service.
- Maintain patient confidentiality at all times.
- Dress professionally.
- Practice Duke's "Live our Values" guidelines.
- Communicate openly and respectfully with others.
- Participates in personal and professional learning opportunities.
Licenses, Certifications and Registrations Required:
- Completion of accredited Nurse Practitioner Program or PA Program at the Masters or Doctoral Level
- Current NC License with the NC Medical Board
- Current DEA registration
- Credentialing through Duke University Health System
- American Red Cross BLS certification
- Adequate CME as outlined by NC Medical Board, Duke Credentialing Office and AANP
- Completion of required Duke modules (safety, HIPAA, etc.)
- Completion of Maestro training
1631 PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a bachelor's degree in Health Science and a Physician Assistant Certificate of Registration with the North Carolina Medical Board or be certification eligible, and be certified as a Physician Assistant by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants.
None required above education/training requirement. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.