Job Description: Reporting to the Associate Director of Athletics for Student Services, the Assistant Athletic Trainer will:
- Assist the Head Athletic Trainer, team physician, and associated medical practitioners in prevention, immediate care, and rehabilitation of injuries sustained by East Carolina University student-athletes
- Carry out policies and procedures of the athletic training facilities and ECU Department of Athletics
- Direct and provide athletic training coverage and supervision of intercollegiate athletic teams during practices, games, and strength and conditioning sessions as assigned
- Coordinate physical exams and pre-participation paperwork for student-athletes through the team physician or designee
- Perform selected portions of the physical exam under the direction and supervision of the team physician
- Apply specific and appropriate taping, bracing, and other protective/supportive devices in order to prevent injury or re-injury
- Monitor environmental conditions of playing and practice areas in order to make recommendations regarding the safety of the student-athlete, following accepted and recommended guidelines
- Refer the student-athlete to medical personnel (i.e. physicians, physical therapists, nutritionists, and other allied health professionals) in order to ensure appropriate medical evaluation, treatment, and rehabilitation by implementing standard verbal and/or written orders
- Maintain appropriate medical records
- Be familiar with emergency action plans for each athletic venue
- Familiarize student-athletes with the ECU Athletic Department's Drug Testing and Counseling program
- Provide education and counseling in health related matters to the student-athletes and coaches
- Direct the student-athletes and coaches to professionals in order that the student-athlete may receive consultation for social and/or personal programs on specific topics, and by personal consultation
- Assist in CPR/First Aid/AED instruction to coaches, athletic department staff, and athletic training students and staff
- Provide clinical supervision of athletic training students
- Perform other clinical duties as assigned by the Head Athletic Trainer
- Adhere to regulations of the North Carolina Athletic Trainer Practice Act
- Perform administrative duties as assigned by Associate Director of Athletics for Student Services
- Build quality relationships and work collaboratively and professionally with Pirate Club, athletics, and University staff, students, business vendors and all donors and stakeholders.
- Abide by all written policies and procedures of ECU, the Department of Athletics, The Educational Foundation (Pirate Club), the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), and all applicable conferences or associations.
Minimum Qualifications: Master's Degree from an appropriately accredited institution in Athletic Training or related field is required.
Certified Athletic Trainer as designated by the Board of Certification
Licensed Athletic Trainer by the North Carolina Board of Athletic Training Examiners or eligible
Minimum two years post-undergraduate athletic training experience required.
Special Instructions to Applicants: East Carolina University requires applicants to submit a candidate profile online in order to be considered for the position. Candidates must also submit a cover letter, a curriculum vitae/resume, and a list of three references, including contact information, online.
Original transcript required within 30 days of employment. Qualifying degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions and conferred by the time of hire.
East Carolina University seeks to create an environment that fosters the recruitment and retention of a more diverse student body, faculty, staff and administration. In order to promote the university's diversity goal, the Athletics Department encourages applicants from women, minorities, and historically underrepresented groups.
Date Initial Screening Begins: 06-26-2017
Job Close Date: Open Until Filled