University of Colorado - School of Medicine
The Department of Orthopedic Surgery at the University of Colorado in Aurora, Colorado is seeking an experienced board certified Orthopedic Surgeon with a sub-specialty in Adult Spine Surgery. The University of Colorado is located on a new 2.5 billion dollar campus that combines state of the art medical facilities and basic science research. All candidates must have completed a 5-year residency and a one-year fellowship, have an interest in developing a clinical practice and research endeavors, and participate in our resident/fellowship education program.
The primary responsibility will be as an Orthopedic Spine Surgeon. Clinical responsibilities include actively participating in the continued growth of the Spine Surgery programs at the University of Colorado. The candidate will be primarily based at the University of Colorado Hospital and will provide services in both inpatient and outpatient environments. The candidate may also be required to provide services at the Denver VA Hospital and/or other Denver area hospital sites.
The candidate will be an employee of the Department of Orthopedics, University of Colorado.
Teaching responsibilities include participating in the education of Orthopedic fellows, residents, and medical students. Research Responsibilities integral to this position include active participation in research activities within the Spine program, and the personal development of focused clinical and/or basic science research activities parallel to their clinical practice. The applicant must be self-directed, detail-oriented, and adaptable in a high-intensity environment.
Academic rank and salary will be commensurate with the level of expertise and academic credentials and will be closely linked with income generated.
Other duties include:
- Obtains detailed history and performs physical examinations on assigned patients; assesses and treats acute/chronic medical problems and provides direct patient care to a specified patient population. Writes prescriptions for medications, PT, OT, imaging studies, and DME as needed. Complete FMLA and other forms and school notes as needed.
- Provides pre-op, intra-op and post-op care; writes appropriate orders, including those for narcotics and other scheduled drugs.
- Duties may include inpatient care, consultation and coverage in the emergency room.
- Practices safety, environmental, and/or infection control methods.
- Coordinates the activities of patient care and support staff within the clinic. Work with the team to ensure smooth operation of the clinic.
- Writes progress notes on patients' office and hospital charts in a timely fashion indicating patient status and treatment procedures performed; maintains other records as required.
- Provides health education to patients and families; may train and supervise medical students, residents, fellows, mid-level students and other health professional students engaged in specific clinical activities.
- Enhances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, current literature, in-service meetings and workshops.
- Participate (attend, give talks, help organize) in educational programs including weekly academic conferences, journal clubs, etc.
- Will assist in community outreach events including giving educational talks, organizing, planning, and attending.
- Develop written educational materials and treatment protocols for specific conditions and post-operative care.
- Gives power point and poster presentations for educational purposes at institutional, local and national meetings.
- Performs clinical and/or basic science research related to spine specific conditions and prepares manuscripts for publication in conjunction with the orthopedic spine research group.
- Proficient in documentation and use of the current electronic medical record programs, and maintains timely documentation at or above hospital set standards.
- Take call as needed.
- Orthopedic Spine Surgeon
- All candidates must have completed a five year residency, a one year fellowship, be board certified, have an interest in developing a clinical practice and research endeavors, and participate in our resident/fellowship education program.
- Interest in developing a clinical practice
- Have a strong interest in spine research and interest in pursuing NIH level research funding.
- Participate in our resident/fellowship education program
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Review of applications will begin April 10, 2017, and will continue until the position is filled. Questions should be directed to Jodi.firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 09125
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20259 - SOM-Orthopedics
Posting Date: Jun 12, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Jodi Naylor
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00708215