Functional Title Academic Advisor
Position Type Administration - Staff
The UNCG College of Visual and Performing Arts (CVPA) Advising Center supports first year students in the College of Visual and Performing Arts in their transition to a college environment. We teach students how to understand and navigate degree requirements and course options, take advantage of student support services, and encourage students to adopt a professional and proactive approach to lifelong learning. CVPA advisors empower students to make the most of their education as they acquire skills needed to continue a life in the arts.
The Academic Advisor is a full time, 12-month EHRA non-faculty position. As such, it is leave earning with full benefits.
The Academic Adivsor will be responsible for teaching at least one academic course in his or her academic field each year (possibly one per semester) and serving on College and University committees and task forces related to the undergraduate curriculum, policies, procedures, &/or services. This responsibly will account for one quarter of the appointment.
Three quarters of the appointment will be devoted to advising approximately 175 first year students each academic year and serving as a transition advisor to transfer and readmitted students during the summer months. This requires developing and enhancing knowledge of undergraduate curriculum requirements, academic policies and procedures, and an understanding of academic advising best practices.
Minimum of an Undergraduate Degree in one of the Fine or Performing Arts.
1) Minimum of an Undergraduate Degree in one of the Fine or Performing Arts, Master's preferred.
2) Excellent interpersonal skills, team oriented. Engaging personality who can work with prospective students and their families, faculty and other staff.
3) Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
4) Knowledge and passion for the fine and performing arts.
5) Ability to understand data and prepare reports as needed.
6) Candidate should show creativity, initiative and high energy.
Tenure Status N/A
Recruitment Range $35,000 - $41,500
Org #-Department College of Visual and Performing Arts - 12601
Job Open Date 06/12/2017
For Best Consideration Date 07/10/2017
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
Type of Appointment 1.0 (Full-Time)
Time Limited? No
Number of Months per Year 12
- Cover Letter
- List of References
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying:
- UNCGjobsearch Website
- Piedmont Triad Area Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other professional journal / website
- UNC School System Job Board
- Personal Networking
- * If you selected "Other", please provide the name of the resource here.
(Open Ended Question)
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu