Head Coach, Women's Tennis
Head Coach, Women's Tennis
Posting Number: S0363
Status: Awaiting Approval
Classification: Administrative/Professional Anticipated Length of Appointment:
Special area(s) of assignment (teaching/research/administration):
Willamette University invites applications for an exempt position of Head Coach, Women's Tennis.
This is an exciting time at Willamette and we welcome you to join our team as we strive to provide students with an intercollegiate athletics experience that develops life skills by cultivating moral, physical, intellectual and emotional growth. In support of the mission and goals of Willamette University, our program strives to enhance the overall learning environment for scholar-athletes. GO Bearcats!
To learn more about the Athletics Department, staff, faculty and student please visit http://www.wubearcats.com
Directs all areas associated with the tennis program including: practice and competition preparation; student-athlete recruitment; student leadership development; budget management; scheduling and supervision of assistant coach(es).
The Head Coach will work full-time during the year. This position is an exempt position, 1.00FTE working 40 hours per week. This position is eligible for medical/dental insurance, sick and vacation accruals, a contribution of 10% of gross base pay from the University in exchange for a mandatory contribution of 1% by the employee, tuition remission, and paid holidays.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following functions, which are not listed in any particular order of importance or significance:
• Directs and coordinates all aspects of the tennis program, serving as head coach of women’s program.
• Recruits qualified student-athletes for admission to a demanding academic environment.
• Provides leadership and instruction in the personal and athletic development of student-athletes, including counseling team members in academic, disciplinary and personal matters.
• Prepares and manages program budget, including purchasing of equipment and other supplies as needed.
• Makes team travel arrangements including accommodations, transportation and meals.
• Observes all conference, NCAA and university rules and regulations.
• Schedules competitions and practices within university, Northwest Conference and NCAA Division III guidelines.
• Supervises and provides assistant coach(es) with necessary information and training.
• Teaches the fundamental principles and techniques of tennis skills (i.e. competition, traditions and sportsmanship) as well as the philosophy of the sport.
• Is proactive in all matters pertaining to safety among staff and participants.
• Maintains all equipment in a safe and working order; performing and/or coordinating repairs as appropriate.
• Represents the department and University in public relations efforts.
• Participates in department and Division planning and staff meetings, representing tennis program and/or Willamette athletic department.
• Cooperate with all coaches and administrative staff within the athletics program to enhance overall department operation and student-athlete experience.
• Additional administrative responsibilities and duties will be assigned by the Director of Athletics.
Additional Information/About the Department:
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent required. Master’s degree preferred.
• Three years’ experience coaching high school, club, or college tennis, with preference given to college coaching experience.
• Thorough knowledge of all applicable NCAA Division III and Conference rules as they apply to tennis.
• Must be able to successfully articulate the values of a liberal arts education and the role intercollegiate athletics plays in the development of student athletes.
• Ability to recruit outstanding student-athletes to a strong academic environment.
• Possess strong leadership, organizational, communication and management skills; serves as a role model for student-athletes. Ability to effectively teach and coach students in both an individual and team setting.
• Must demonstrate strong communication and organizational skills and must be able to work effectively with staff, faculty and other members of the University.
• Ability to effectively communicate in English, both orally and in writing, including the ability to communicate instructions pertaining to athletic matters in an athletic coaching setting.
• Ability to execute those physical activities required to perform the essential functions of the position.
• Knowledge of and ability to use computers and a variety of software applications.
• Ability to effectively interact with a wide variety of people in a manner that positively portrays the University and its programs, personnel, and philosophies.
• Must possess a current driver’s license valid in the state of Oregon or the ability to obtain one within 60 days of hire date and satisfactory driving record insurable by the University’s insurer.
• Ability to work independently as well as establish and maintain harmonious relations with other staff, faculty and students.
• Successful clearance of a criminal conviction record check.
• Master’s Degree
• College coaching experience
Thank you for considering a position within Willamette University (WU). Please note that you will need to create an account in order to apply, if this is your first time applying online with WU.
You will be asked to submit the following documents as part of your application materials:
• Cover letter addressing the required/desired qualifications and presenting any other applicant characteristics which deserve emphasis.
• Current Resume
• As part of the application, please include a list of references (name, title, preferred contact information, and brief description working relationship to reference).
Application Deadline: Open until finalists are selected. Desired start date July 5, 2017.
Open Date: 06/06/2017
Open Until Filled: Yes
Apply online at https://jobs.willamette.edu/postings/2357
Believing that diversity contributes to academic excellence and to rich and rewarding communities, WU is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body. We seek candidates, particularly those from historically under-represented groups, whose work furthers diversity and who bring to campus varied experiences, perspectives and backgrounds.