Human Resources Generalist
This role will deliver HR solutions in a number of key areas, such as employee relations, FMLA/ADA and other leaves of absence, policy development,compensation management, performance management, and training and organizational development. As a member of a cross-functional team, reporting to the Director of HR Services, the HR Generalist will partner with other members of the HR services team, and work collaboratively with all levels of management to implement HR policies, practices and procedures and to actively contribute to Bucknell's efforts to foster an inclusive, diverse campus community.
Human Resources supports the University's mission of excellence in teaching, critical thinking and intellectual exploration through strategic innovation and comprehensive services. The HR Generalist will ensure that Bucknell's programs, policies, and practices support the diversity and inclusion goals of the University.
This is a full-time, 12 month, exempt, benefits eligible position.
• Working with an identified group of University employees, provide advice, guidance and decisions on HR matters to managers and staff.
• Identify and analyze employee relations situations and recommend appropriate employment action to maintain a productive work environment.
• Conduct timely and thorough investigations with general supervision, recommend solutions to issues, and counsel employees.
• Advise managers on progressive discipline process, highlighting the legal requirements and ramifications, and adjudicate complex employee relations (ER) issues.
• Facilitate dispute resolution within departments/divisions as necessary to ensure the consistent, uniform and fair application of University policies and procedures.
• Manage disciplinary actions within departments/divisions to ensure the consistent, uniform and fair application of University policies and procedures.
• Manage risk by ensuring employment actions are in compliance with local, state and federal employment requirements.
• Participate in campus-wide strategic projects, committees and working groups;
• Stay current on recent federal, state and case law changes and monitors labor law updates and newsletters for changes that may affect HR.
• Partner with Training and Organizational Development Manager to create and deliver solutions to managers and their departments. Align training solutions to organizational problems and priorities. Conduct training for clients on general human resource topics.
• Assist the Compensation Manager with projects, procedures, data analysis and or data entry/upload related to compensation surveys, staff merit process, and implementation of the University's Salary Administration program.
• Coordinate workforce and talent management efforts with clients relative to establishing solid promotion rationales, collaborating with Compensation on offers, salary actions, audits and the annual merit increase process.
• Under the direction of the Director of HR Services, supports the employment services team members to assist clients with recruiting, compensation and staffing needs.
• Support the development and strategic implementation of policies, procedures and tools to support performance management, communication and relationship building while fostering positive relationships between employees and managers
• Support and contribute to the University's commitment to diversity and inclusion.
• Assist with the interpretation and administration of all leave programs and policies in accordance with applicable federal and state employment laws.
• Manage the administration of all and support members of the Benefits and HRIS team with the day-to-day administration of all leaves of absence including Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), American's with Disabilities Act (ADA), personal leaves of absence and short/long-term disability.
• Monitor compliance with ADA, FMLA and other leaves of absence.
• Collaborate with employees and department managers to assist in processing, evaluating and responding to ADA, FMLA and other requests for accommodation or absence.
• Maintain thorough knowledge of ADA, FMLA and other leave of absence benefits to effectively serve as a liaison between staff, supervisors, department heads and the University.
• Assist in the development of policies, forms, procedures and educate/train campus constituents accordingly in interpretation and application of policies and procedures.
• Perform other duties as required or requested.
• A Bachelor's degree and 4-6 years' of related HR generalist experience.
• Previous experience assisting with employee relations investigations, action and follow-up. Knowledge of ADA compliance.
• Demonstrated effective verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal skills and the ability to present effectively to small and large groups and facilitate discussion.
• Advanced level of technical proficiency in relevant applications such as MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), HRIS or other systems to effectively gather, interpret, organize, and present data.
• Demonstrated sound judgment and critical thinking skills; ability to manage multiple priorities and administer broad range of tasks including resolving complaints, coaching and counseling managers and employees on policies and procedures.
• Ability to collaborate, influence and command the respect and confidence of campus partners and have the capacity to deal with a wide range of relationships and situations.
• Strong organizational skills; evidence of self-motivation; demonstrated ability to plan, schedule and work both independently and in teams within a service oriented organization.
• Demonstrated success managing multiple projects and competing priorities while balancing the need for quality with meeting deadlines.
• HR certification (PHR, SPHR, SHRM-CP, SHRM-SCP)
• Experience in higher education or a service-oriented organization
Bucknell University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, veteran status or disability in admissions, employment and in all of its educational programs and activities.
Bucknell University believes that students learn best in a diverse, inclusive community and is therefore committed to academic excellence through diversity in its faculty, staff, and students. We seek candidates who are committed to Bucknell's efforts to create a climate that fosters the growth and development of a diverse student body, and we welcome applications from members of groups that have been historically underrepresented in higher education. Bucknell University is a private, highly ranked, national liberal arts institution that also offers strong professional programs in engineering, business, education, and music. Located in Central Pennsylvania along the Susquehanna River, Bucknell is nestled in the Borough of Lewisburg, an architectural gem that has been ranked as one of America's best small towns.
Bucknell is a NCAA Division I (FCS) and Patriot League member institution, that sponsors 27 varsity athletics programs.
In order to be considered for the position, all applicants are required to submit online a candidate profile, a letter of interest, a current resume, and a list of three references through the following site: http://careers.bucknell.edu