Vice President – Administrative Services/Assistant Superintendent
El Camino College
Vice President – Administrative Services/Assistant Superintendent
Division: Administrative Services
Close Date: 7/17/17
Complete job description and application available online at: https://elcamino.igreentree.com/css_classified
Under the direction of the Superintendent/President, provide overall leadership in planning, directing and evaluating the operational activities of the District including, but not limited to all aspects of financial services; business services; facilities including maintenance and operations; information systems; campus police services; bookstore and food services.
• Provide vision and leadership in evaluating Administrative Services programs, service levels and impact on District operations and student success. Identify opportunities for improvement and implement actions to strengthen services to students and the campus community.
• Serve as the chief advisor to the Superintendent/President on strategic matters related to budget development, finance administration, facilities services, property management, safety, purchasing, information systems and other administrative concerns.
• Develop the annual estimates of income and expenditures for various District programs; make recommendations to the Superintendent/President regarding total estimated expenditures to assure compliance with projected income for the same period.
• Assist with the District planning process to link with the annual budget.
• Direct the administration of various District budgets; coordinate the development of the District's annual budget for expenditures with other • Vice Presidents; execute budgetary documents as authorized by the Board, and assure the District maintains a balanced budget within authorized spending programs.
• Participate in grievances, disciplinary meetings, legal matters and other employment activities. Serve as a resource to District negotiation teams.
• Direct the business services operations of the District including finance, budgeting and purchasing; provide for proper internal controls and management of District funds.
• Oversee the administration of contracts with outside vendors, the bidding and procurement procedures for goods and services and execute contract documents as authorized by the Board.
• Direct facilities services; make recommendations and approve plans and specifications for construction and remodeling projects; work with appropriate State agencies to assure approval of various construction and remodeling projects; complete annual and long-term construction and facilities plans.
• Supervise and evaluate the performance of assigned staff; interview and select employees and recommend transfers, reassignment, termination and disciplinary actions to the
• Superintendent; approve goals and performance objectives for Administrative Services Department personnel.
• Coordinate and supervise legal matters of the District; make recommendations to the Superintendent/President regarding employment of outside legal consultants; represent the District with legal counsel in various legal actions for and against the District.
• Provide for proper management of the District's investment program; assure funds not needed for current operation are invested in accordance with County, State and federal requirements.
• Provide for proper management and control of the District's insurance program; analyze, review and purchase insurance to assure the District, Board and employees are adequately protected and covered for contingencies associated with operation of a community college.
• Oversee the operations of Auxiliary Services.
• Direct the operations of the Campus Police; assure compliance with applicable State laws and regulations; participate on related committees.
• Oversee the District’s internal and external auditing program; recommend the employment of external auditors; assure program complies with related regulations.
• Recommend agenda items for Board approval; attend regular meetings and closed sessions as requested; prepare Administrative Services board agenda and supporting materials for Superintendent/President; recommend new policies or amendments to existing policy to the Superintendent/President; provide information and data as requested.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
• Planning, organization and direction of the Administrative Services Department.
• Budget preparation and control.
• Oral and written communication skills.
• Principles and practices of administration, supervision and training.
• Applicable laws, Education codes, regulations, policies and procedures.
• Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
• Operation of a computer and assigned software.
• Generally accepted accounting principles.
• Provide overall leadership in planning, directing and evaluating the administrative activities of the District.
• Supervise the administration of various District budgets.
• Supervise and evaluate the performance of assigned staff.
• Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Interpret, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
• Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
• Operate a computer and assigned office equipment.
• Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action.
• Meet schedules and time lines.
• Work independently with little direction.
• Plan and organize work.
• Prepare comprehensive narrative and statistical reports.
• Direct the maintenance of a variety of reports and files related to assigned activities.
• Sensitive to and understanding of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, linguistic, ethnic backgrounds and disabilities of community college students and staff.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in business administration or related field and five (5) years of increasingly responsible experience at the senior management level in the administration of administrative services divisions with emphasis in finance and budget or the equivalent.
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
Valid California driver's license.
Attend multiple meetings.
Extended periods of sitting.
Hearing and speaking to exchange information.
Seeing to read a variety of materials.
SALARY RANGE: $161,018 - $211,838 annually.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Full-time, 12-month administrative position. Excellent fringe benefits including eight 32-hour work weeks during the summer. Employment is dependent upon satisfactory employment verification, fingerprint check, and tuberculosis examination. Selected candidate must provide identification and work authorization.
An applicant must submit the following by the closing date:
1) Online application https://elcamino.igreentree.com/css_classified
2) Cover letter describing how applicant meets the qualifications.
3) Resume including educational background, professional experience, and related personal development and accomplishments.
4) Pertinent transcripts as stated in the required qualifications. (Unofficial computer-generated academic records/transcripts must include the name of the institution and degrees awarded to be acceptable.) Multiple page transcripts must be loaded as ONE pdf document.
Foreign Transcripts: Transcripts issued outside the United States of America require a course-by-course analysis with an equivalency statement from a certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. For information on transcript evaluation services, please visit: http://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/leaflets/cl635.pdf
Please Note: Documents submitted or uploaded for a previous position cannot be reused for other positions. You must submit the required documents for each position you apply for by the closing date. Failure to do so will result in an incomplete application. Applications with an incomplete status will not receive consideration. You may check the status of your application on-line.
If you need assistance, you may call 310-660-3593 Ext. 5809 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
The campus will be closed on Fridays starting June 23 through August 11 and July 4, 2017
Closing Date: Monday, July 17, 2017 at 3:00 p.m.
Only individuals identified for FINAL interviews are eligible to have their expenses paid. Reimbursement will be limited to economy airfare (to and from point of origin) and for meals and lodging. The maximum allocated for meals, lodging and transportation is $600. Candidate must complete a Travel Request and Reimbursement Form and submit it together with all supporting documentation to the Human Resources Office.
Compensation and Benefit Highlights
Health, Life, Dental and Vision Insurance
The College provides a diversified insured benefit program for all full-time employees including medical, dental, vision and life insurance. Dependent medical, dental and vision insurance is available toward which both the College and the employee contribute.
Sick Leave and Disability
Paid sick leave is granted equal to one day for each month of service. Sick leave may be accumulated indefinitely. Rather than State Disability Insurance, limited sick leave benefits are available for days beyond the earned sick leave days and are paid at fifty percent.
Full-time employees contribute a percentage of their regular salary either to the State Teachers Retirement System (STRS) or to the Public Employees Retirement System (PERS) and Social Security.
El Camino College is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The El Camino Community College District provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity or sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability, or veteran status.