Budget Director, Office of Budget and Financial Planning (OBFP)
The Budget Director, within the Office of Budget and Financial Planning (OBFP), will support the financial management of the University and planning and resource allocation discussions and decisions of senior University administrators. The incumbent will be responsible for developing and providing high-value, integrated budgeting, financial reporting and financial management services across the University. S/he will provide support to the University community by leading the budget development and budget monitoring phases of the comprehensive planning and budgeting cycle and for providing expertise and input into multi-year forecasting, performance management, and institutional effectiveness.
The Director will provide guidance and leadership across a wide range of financial functions and will work with vice chancellors, Deans, college finance officers and business managers, proving expertise, guidance and training regarding financial management-related issues. The incumbent will independently conduct research and analysis, identifying and implementing best practices in higher education financial management, financial reporting, and continuous improvement and will effectively communicate recommendations to stakeholders at all levels of the organization.
The Director is responsible for the oversight and support of the development of and monitoring the annual revenue and expense budget, preparing reports, presentations and financial studies of key variables in the university's financial model, along with providing leadership in training and enhancing budget and position management reporting applications.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Support senior management in planning, allocation of resources, and formulation of processes regarding the financial management of the university;
- Collaborate with vice chancellors, Deans, college finance officers and business managers on relevant fiscal issues;
- Regularly provide budget and analytical support to senior campus leadership, department managers and other stakeholders;
- Provide oversight and support of the campus operating budget across all funds and accounts, including budget development activities, preparation of projections, mid-year forecasts, and multi-year scenarios;
- Develop and prepare reports of major revenue categories for monitoring of year to date performance and year-end projections;
- Review spending plans and requests for new funding and monitor financial performance of business areas throughout the fiscal year;
- Recommend strategies that enhance financial reporting and financial management, including cost avoidance and cost savings opportunities, and enhance revenues for the University;
- Develop proposals for solutions of complex financial problems; identify opportunities and recommend improvements to the current planning and budget processes;
- Provide timely financial and performance management information to assist senior management in decision-making;
- Actively participate in major accounting, budgeting, and reporting initiatives of the University;
- Support the development and management of a strategic plan for streamlining business processes and adopting best practices for the campus;
- Develop a strategy and support for management reporting that ensures the availability of relevant information for all campus decision makers;
- Plan, organize, direct and supervise budget analysts, including professional development and performance evaluations;
- Plan, facilitate, and execute projects and initiatives within a highly collaborative, shared-governance environment; serve as a key contributor in teams and work groups across the campus, providing financial and administrative policy expertise and occasionally be called upon to lead special project initiatives;
- Provide leadership in developing and enhancing financial reporting applications, including serving as liaison with university Information Technology Services;
- Serve as liaison with other Administration and Finance areas, including Controller's Office, Procurement, and Human Resources;
- May serve in the capacity of the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Budget and Financial Planning in his/her absence;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's Degree in Finance, Economics, Statistics, Business Administration or a closely-related analytic or policy field, Master's Degree in Finance, Economics, Statistics, Business Administration or a closely related analytic or policy field preferred, and a minimum of ten (10) years of relevant work experience.
Examples of relevant work experience include: providing financial expertise and analysis in support of multiple business areas within an organization; creating and maintaining prospective forecasts of staffing compensation expense, developing revenue forecasts of fees, building operating costs, and operating costs of a diverse collection of business areas; preparing comprehensive revenue and expense projections for new business initiatives; developing model(s) integrating data from various sources; preparing and delivering complex financial information going to governing boards; and supervision of budget and financial reporting teams.
Strong quantitative, analytical and reporting skills required. Demonstrated supervisory and/or project management leadership experience preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, with advanced knowledge of advanced reporting queries;
- Demonstrated ability to provide clarity and conceptualization around complex financial and policy issues;
- Ability to effectively manage complex situations;
- Ability to develop and bring to completion multiple assignments concurrently;
- Ability to facilitate communication across diverse constituencies and functional areas;
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively within a strong team environment;
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality;
- Ability to effectively manage complex information and maintain data integrity;
- Ability to collaborate successfully with a diverse community of senior managers and finance professionals;
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize in a dynamic and fast paced environment;
- Demonstrated ability to deal with diverse constituencies;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Strong problem-solving and decision-making skills;
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Strong technical, analytical reasoning and quantitative analysis skills;
- Strong commitment to customer service.
The University of Massachusetts Boston is committed to providing a safe and secure environment that is supported by qualified employees for all of its students, faculty and staff to carry out the University's teaching, research and public service missions. As a condition of employment, the University will conduct appropriate background check reviews. For more information, please see the University of Massachusetts Boston campus policy and procedures for employee background reviews:
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter, and list of three professional work references.
- Professional Non-Union.
- Full time. Benefited.
- Unrestricted funding.
- Salary commensurate with skills and experience.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date.
Closing date for applications: June 21, 2017.
The University of Massachusetts Boston provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information. In addition to federal law requirements, the University of Massachusetts Boston complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the university operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment. Among the procedures which may be used to select personnel to fill vacant positions are review of work experience, reference checks, and interviews. All appointments and promotions will be effective on a Sunday.