LaunchLab Director - WVU Beckley
West Virginia University Institute of Technology (WVU Tech), part of the WVU system of campuses, is seeking a self-motivated and driven Director for the LaunchLab at the new WVU Beckley campus. This position will report to the Assistant Vice President for Entrepreneurship and Innovation, with additional reporting to the Provost at WVU Tech.
The Director of the Beckley LaunchLab will have primary responsibility for managing the daily operations of the LaunchLab and inspiring a mindset and culture of opportunity recognition, innovation and entrepreneurship for the campus community of WVU Tech. The Beckley LaunchLab director will also serve as the liaison between WVU’s Idea Ecosystem and our community-based partners in the area.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Manage the daily operations of the Beckley LaunchLab, including serving as the lead strategic coach for student startups, and working with colleagues to coordinate innovation and entrepreneurship programming.
- Act as a liaison with the Morgantown LaunchLab and the WV Hive directors and staff to coordinate activities and provide consistent and complementary services.
- Oversee the Makerspace, LaunchLab and Hive physical space in the Innovation building to insure safety and adherence to WVU policy.
- Instruct students, faculty, staff and external constituents on the product and /or business startup process in both workshops and classroom settings.
- Coach student startup teams and provide continued long-term support for students in all areas of the venture launch.
- Build and maintain a collaborative network of technical assistance both internally and externally to deliver support to LaunchLab clients including, but not limited to, the following areas: strategy, product design and development, prototyping, legal issues, intellectual property protection, market research, branding, access to markets and funding opportunities.
- Assist student ventures in the process of applying for grants and seed-stage funding, including applicants for funds from University-managed grants and investment programs as well as from external investors.
- Work with both colleges on campus to provide support, guest lectures, and training for courses or co-curricular activities relating to entrepreneurship and innovation.
- Actively participate in and provide leadership for the WVU Tech campus in WVU’s IDEA Ecosystem and statewide and national organizations related to entrepreneurship and innovation.
- Work closely with the Assistant Vice President for Entrepreneurship and Innovation to research and secure external funding to support the work of the Beckley LaunchLab and other entrepreneurship and innovation activities across the WVU Tech campus.
- Maintain current innovation and entrepreneurial trends, market opportunities and skills training.
- Travel to meetings at various campuses and across the state of West Virginia.
Date of Appointment: Immediate
Application Deadline: Review of applications will begin June 20, 2017
WVU Tech is a regional division of the West Virginia University system and is located in Beckley, West Virginia. It boasts a 12:1 student-to-faculty ratio and an average class size of 17 students, allowing personalized attention in a supportive environment. WVU Tech is ranked first in the state for return on investment, and seventh in the nation in annual ROI for students paying in-state tuition. The campus is near state and national parks and numerous recreational opportunities.
- Master's degree in business or a closely related field
- Five (5) years of experience in or with startups
- Demonstrated managerial experience
- Demonstrated ability to teach and give effective presentations; collegiate level teaching preferred
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communications skills
- Background check
- Valid driver's license
- Application materials must include a letter of interest, resume, and three professional references
At West Virginia University, we pride ourselves on a tireless endeavor for achievement. We are home to some of the most passionate, innovative minds in the country who push their limits for the sake of progress, constantly moving the world forward. Our students, faculty and staff make this institution one of the best out there, and we are proud to stand as one voice, one university, one WVU. Find out more about your opportunities as a Mountaineer at http://hr.wvu.edu/.
West Virginia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff and students, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans.
: Jun 9, 2017
Posting Classification: FE/AP
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes