Associate Legal Counsel
Medgar Evers College, The City University of New York (Medgar Evers) believes that education has the power to positively transform the lives of individuals, and that education is the right of all. A dynamic and vibrant institution, its mission is to provide higher education for the underserved populations of Central Brooklyn through high-quality, professional and career-oriented undergraduate degree programs. A four-year liberal arts college, Medgar Evers is a beacon of educational opportunity, culture, and success to the New York City community and beyond. The College is dedicated to making a positive impact on the surrounding community and pioneering initiatives that will create success for even the youngest learners in Central Brooklyn.
The Associate Counsel reports to the Executive Counsel to the President and provides legal advice to the College on a broad range of issues including employment and labor law, contracts, compliance, governance, ethics, intellectual property, and immigration. The Associate Counsel provides legal support to Vice Presidents, Deans, Chairs, faculty, and administrators, and serves as a liaison to the University Office of Legal Affairs with respect to litigation and arbitration.
In addition to the CUNY Title Overview, the responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Negotiate and draft of contracts, licenses, releases and other legal documents.
- Work with attorneys in CUNY Office of the General Counsel and Office of Labor Relations in connection with litigation and arbitration including matters relating to students, employees, and third parties.
- Provide legal counsel with respect to compliance with legal requirements, college and university policies and procedures, and contractual obligations.
- Provide legal advise regarding the development and implementation of college policies, procedures and transactions.
- Consult with the Office of Academic Affairs on the review of appeals of student disciplinary decisions and similar matters
- Review and respond to subpoenas and other requests for college, employee, and student records.
- Assist with investigations, make recommendations as warranted.
J.D. and five years' related experience required. Membership in New York State Bar required.
- Ability to work well as part of a team, take on a supervisory role when needed, work effectively and independently on multiple tasks
- Substantial non-profit law and contract negotiation and preparation experience preferred.
- Experience in a large law firm setting with increasing managerial responsibility strongly preferred.
- Experience in a higher education setting
- Exceptional analytical and communication skills and judgement
- Experience interpreting laws and drafting and interpreting organizational regulations policies, procedures and guidelines
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to establish plans, manage a large workload and multiple assignments with conflicting priorities, and to meet strict deadlines in a fast-paced office
- Ability to take initiative and use sound judgment to make decisions and exercise discretion and tact.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Provides professional in-house legal advice, representation, and performs legal duties on behalf of the President(s) and/or senior administration of one or more CUNY colleges or units.
- Serves as legal counsel to the President and senior administrators
- Provides guidance on the implementation of and compliance with CUNY Board of Trustees Bylaws, CUNY and college policies, college governance plans, laws, regulations and other procedures and rules effecting the college(s)
- Prepares legal documents and contracts
- Works closely with CUNY's Office of General Counsel in managing and supporting litigation and administrative cases involving students, faculty and staff
- May serve as college Ethics Officer, Records Access Officer, Legal Affairs and/or Labor Designee responsible for the handling of legal matters, union grievances and investigations
- Reviews and maintains up-to-date knowledge of State and Federal laws and maintains college/unit policies and procedures so that they are current and consistent with those laws
- Performs related duties as assigned
Higher Education Officer
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please log on to: www.cuny.edu. Click on "Employment" and scroll down to "Search for Jobs." Click on "Search Job Listings" and select job category "Managerial and Professional".
JOB ID: 16596
Current users of the site should access their established accounts; new users should click the appropriate link to register.
Applicants must upload a cover letter and resume.
Open until filled. Review of resumes to begin April 25, 2017.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Medgar Evers College
Job Title: Associate Legal Counsel
Job ID: 16596
Full/Part Time: Full-Time