RESEARCH TECHNICIAN II
RESEARCH TECHNICIAN II
Medicine - Cardiology
Research Technician II Position Job Description
A Lab Research Technician II position is available in the lab of Dr. Dennis Abraham at Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC (https://medicine.duke.edu/faculty/dennis-m-abraham-md). The Abraham lab is focused on characterizing the molecular mechanisms underlying cardiac hypertrophy and dysfunction, with a particular emphasis on myocyte and non-myocyte cell-cell communication. Our work employs in vitro, ex-vivo and in vivo model systems to identify novel pathways that modulate cardiac function. Dr. Abraham is member of the Duke Cardiovascular Research Center and directs the Cardiovascular Physiology Core, which has provided a number of exciting ongoing collaborations to study the role cardiac metabolism (Duke Molecular Physiology Institute) and fibroblast function (Biomedical Engineering) in heart failure.
Perform a variety of complex technical duties involved in conducting laboratory tests, experiments and determinations in support of Duke University research operations.
· Perform basic science techniques and general tissue culture
· Make buffers and maintain lab equipment
· Assist with mouse genotyping and mouse colony maintenance
· Perform a variety of complex technical duties involved in conducting physical, chemical, biological and other research laboratory tests, experiments and determinations to obtain data for research purposes; compile, analyze, document and draw tentative conclusions from experimental results. Confer with principal investigator to review work assignments and develop plans for research experiments; make minor modifications to existing laboratory procedures and techniques to meet the needs of the particular equipment as required. Review laboratory methods manual, scientific journals, abstracts and other literature for information applicable to research experiments.
· Determine and set up instruments, material and apparatus and operate laboratory equipment required for specific tests.
· Obtain, prepare, mount and stain tissue, blood and other substances for microscopic examination.
· Prepare culture media, chemicals, reagents and solutions.
· Maintain sufficient inventory of material, supplies and equipment for performance of duties; clean and maintain laboratory equipment.
· Review work of lower level laboratory personnel within designated areas and assist in training new personnel.
· Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
A minimum of a Bachelors Degree in biology, molecular biology, biochemistry, or a related field. Prior experience with basic laboratory techniques and tissue culture would be ideal.
None required above education/training requirement or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
Cardio, cardiology, scientist, science, research, research tech, research technician, research technician I, research technician II, diseases, lab, laboratory, human clinical, pre-clinical, trials, trial, high priority diseases, analysis, antibody laboratory, multiplex binding assays, biolayer interferometry binding measurements, validation, experiments, biological specimens, specimen, sample extraction, GCLP, research tech II, research tech I, college graduate, college grad, bachelor's degree, biology, zoology, science related field, experiments, eukaryotic cells, transient transfection, envelope-reactive antibodies, recombinant proteins, isolation, isolate, genes, molecular techniques, virus infection, vaccination, immunoglobulin gene sequence, QC, quality control, HIV, chemicals, waste processing, glassware cleaning, lab organization, laboratory organization, solution prep, solution preparation, safety, safe, virology, immunology, serology, in vitro, ex-vivo, in vivo, cardiac, cardiac metabolism, fibroblast function, tissue culture, mouse, colony, mouse colony, mice, mice colonies, mouse genotyping, biological, laboratory tests, blood, microscopic examination, cultures, reagents, solutions, molecular biology, biochemistry, laboratory techniques, tissue culture
951 RESEARCH TECHNICIAN II
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion,sexual orientation, or veteran status.Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a bachelor's degree in botany, biology, zoology or otherscience related scientific field.
None required above education/training requirement.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.