Production Chef, Floating
To engage and nourish our campus community through delivery of innovative, nutritious, and sustainable dining services.
To cultivate and nurture a healthy campus culture where access to wholesome, seasonal, and local food directly links to wellness, sense of place, and environmental protection. Aligning Dining with campus sustainability efforts allows for the integration of academic programs and community action, thereby providing students invaluable experiential learning opportunities.
Nature of Work:
Under the general supervision of the Associate Director of Culinary Operations/Executive Chef, this position ensures that dining standards are attained so customers have an enjoyable dining experience in any of our facilities. These operations include: Residential (Lodge and/or Roaring Fork), Retail (Caf 65 & Clyde's), and Catering at UCCS. Among the standards are proper sanitation procedures, proper use and care of equipment, and the production of quality, wholesome, and properly prepared foods according to standardized menus and recipes with awareness for customers' special nutritional needs. These standards should be maintained through a corps of student employees and cooks who receive training and leadership from this position. This position will assist the Associate Director/Executive Chef in coordinating the food production activity on any assigned shift in any location. The ability to work alternate hours with short notice as needed, including weekends is required-this "floating" position will work a flexible schedule.
Position is expected to maintain positive collegial relationships with all campus constituents including UCCS Event and Conference Services, Auxiliary Department staff, as well as internal campus and off-campus event planners.
- Maintain high operational standards in all preparation and service areas through direction of Cooks, Student Managers and Student Employees
- Coordinate work in complex food service program with multiple production units
- Train, coordinate, lead and instruct Cooks, Student Managers and other student employees in food service related functions of their job position.
- Handle customer complaints, inquiries, concerns appropriately and in a timely manner
- Waste minimization and record keeping
- Proper food safety techniques per ServSafe and HAACP
- Utilizing the CBORD Menu Management System to the fullest extent possible for reviewing recipes, printing recipes, reviewing service records, item costing, reviewing inventory
- Following recipes-notify Associate Director/ Executive Chef of issues completing production & transfer sheets, waste and service records
- Develop good rapport with University staff, Student Managers and student employees to aid in motivation and dedication towards job responsibilities
- Work with Student Managers on duty to assure coverage of all positions when student employees are absent
- Work with Executive Chef and unit chefs to continually improve the presentation and quality of food
- Coordinate special menus and events geared to student involvement Interact with the students while teaching various cooking methods, recipes, food handling and food safety
- Assist Executive Chef in communicating and coordinating with catering management, catering staff and cooks upcoming events, menus, allergen specifics, etc.
- Manage work flow plans for cooks and/or student staff for residential, retail, and catering events in the absence of the Executive Chef
- Must have basic understanding of Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Enforce policies and procedures with student staff by means of coaching, use of counseling logs, requests for documentation or written disciplinary action in the absence of the Department Manager
- Provide feedback for use in cooks, student manager and student employee evaluations as defined by Human Resources and Student Employment
- Provide relief cooking/production for Lead Cook positions as needed
- Coordinate, with the Executive Chef and Greenhouse Farm Manager, produce from the greenhouse for use in food production facilities. Stay abreast of current culinary trends and apply them where and when possible.
- Assist in recipe development in all areas of dining operations in keeping with our mission and vision
- Be representative of Dining Service and ensure security of Dining Service department assets
- Ability to make quick and sound decisions to meet customer and staff wants/needs in a timely manner
- Complete opening and closing checklists in the absence of the Executive Chef
- Help secure the facilities at close and open areas as needed. Open and close operations in absence of any manager
- Inform Executive Chef of any problem areas or malfunctioning equipment.
- Assist in monitoring supply levels of dishware, equipment, small wares and convey needs to the Associate Director/ Executive Chef
- Maintain cleanliness of entire serving area and kitchen
- Other duties as assigned
- Demonstrated supervisory experience to effectively administer and manage within a diverse organization including recruitment, evaluation, training, and safety programs in absence of Executive Chef
- Experience with student, part-time, and full-time employees
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a multi-cultural university environment and with diverse teams
- Ability to work occasional extended hours up to 14 hours on some days
- Ability to push or pull wheeled carts weighing up to 200 pounds
- Ability to lift cases of food products weighing up to 50 pounds
- Knowledge of efficient and safe use of food service equipment such as ovens, choppers, slicers, etc.
- Ability to bend, stoop and lift up to 50 pounds when storing, stocking and rotating
- Ability to read and interpret recipe information and production sheets from menu management system.
- The work environment requires that the incumbent communicate courteously, following customer service standards to vendors, supervisors, customers, and co-workers, often under stessfull circumstances. The work must be performed within time constraints meetings quality, schedules, and deadlines.
- Thorough knowledge of and experience in the use of materials, methods, and equipment used in large scale cooking.
- Thorough knowledge of food products and quality standards for foods
- Ability to independently coordinate and guide preparation activities on a large scale.
- Working knowledge of food values and nutrition
- Ability to work cooperatively with all staff members and the larger university community
- Assist the Associate Director/Executive Chef with development and implementation of high quality training programs to ensure excellent customer service and provide for consistent applications of standards, procedures and policies for catered events
- Assist with food delivery and service at catering functions
Salary Range: $45,000 to $48,000
The University of Colorado, Colorado Springs offers a full benefits package. Information on university benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at http://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To assist in achieving this goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history check.
- Two to Three years of experience working in catering or residential dining or retail dining in a complex food service organization, university or conference center
- ServSafe certification will be required within 2 months of hire
- Driver's license or ability to obtain a Colorado driver license within 30 days of hire
- Culinary Arts degree
Special Instructions to Applicants:• Applications submitted by June 25, 2017 will receive full consideration. • Applications submitted through email or surface mail will not be considered. Please apply at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. • Upon request, please be prepared to provide five professional references (at least two previous/current supervisors), including their email contact information. • Official Transcripts will be required upon hire.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Job Category: Hospitality
Primary Location: Colorado Springs
Department: C0001 -- Colorado Springs Campus - 40253 - UCCS Dining and Food Services
Posting Date: Jun 10, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Joel Bagley
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00734296