Posting Number: 0001635
Job Title: Systems Librarian
Department: Scribner Library
Position Status: Full-Time
Position Type: Regular
Months per Year: 12 Months
Work Hours: Varied
Start Date (For temporary positions only):
End Date (For temporary positions only):
Position band/level: Faculty
Tenure Track Status:
Job Summary: Skidmore College seeks a creative, user-oriented Systems Librarian to oversee library tools and systems that support collection maintenance and use, as well as related library and resource sharing services. The Systems Librarian will take a leadership role in implementing, maintaining, supporting, and enhancing a wide range of technologies and systems, and, in collaboration with key library staff and other campus partners, will investigate methods and best practices for assessing collections, patron experience, and library effectiveness. The College is particularly interested in candidates from underrepresented backgrounds and candidates who have had experience working with students from underserved populations.
Based in the Lucy Scribner Library and reporting to the College Librarian, the Systems Librarian holds a 12-month contract and, as a non-tenured faculty member, participates in shared governance at the college.
Scribner Library is looking for someone who is able to develop and administer a comprehensive technology plan that guides the library's adoption of next generation library systems. Projects on the horizon include transitioning to a new integrated library system, enhancing or replacing our digital collections platform, improving our library website, and improving or replacing our discovery services.
Scope of Duties
- Administer, maintain, and optimize library systems related to both in-house and consortial activities including, but not limited to, the integrated library system, discovery layer, electronic resource management tool, digital collections platform, interlibrary loan applications, institutional repository, and other resource sharing tools and platforms
- Ensure accessibility to and stability of the library's online information resources and digital collections. Provide technical expertise for problem resolution
- Oversee the functioning and maintenance of the library website, and provide leadership for future upgrades
- Participate in analysis and assessment in order to determine patron satisfaction with library collections, services, and consortial arrangements
- Collaborate with consortial partners on both an ongoing and as-needed basis (e.g., ConnectNY, New York 6, Eastern Academic Scholars' Trust)
- Perform regular periodic data analysis and migration between library systems. Assist and guide others to create and use effective reports for analysis
- Develop, maintain, and document programs and scripts that extend system functionality and automate routine tasks
- Collaborate closely with IT and library staff to ensure seamless service to users
- Participate in reference and instruction/departmental liaison activities in line with the successful candidate's strengths, interests, and institutional needs
- Demonstrate professional engagement and scholarship required for advancement through library faculty ranks Skidmore College is committed to being an inclusive campus community and, as an Equal Opportunity Employer, does not discriminate in its hiring or employment practices on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, national or ethnic origin, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, predisposition or carrier status, domestic violence victim status, familial status, dating violence, or stalking, or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Employment at Skidmore College is contingent upon an acceptable background check result
CREATIVE THOUGHT MATTERS.