Student Life International Student Advisor (International Students Office, Division of Student Affa
Reporting to the Manager of the International Students Office at Hunter College, in addition to the duties listed in the CUNY Title Overview, the International Student Advisor will be responsible for but not limited to:
- Assists with administering programs and services.
- Stays current with SEVP-Student and Exchange Visitor Program regulations and College policies and procedures.
- Performs SEVIS Student and Exchange Visitor Information System operations.
- Advises international students in obtaining and maintaining F-1 and J-1 non-immigrant status.
- Monitors and reports on F-1 and J-1 college enrollment and federal compliance requirements.
- Recommends work permission options based on restrictions to international students according to status (F1: On-campus Employment, Optional Practical Training, Curricular Practical Training, Severe Economic Hardship and J-1: Academic Training).
- Provides information and guidance to faculty and administrators regarding College and student obligations pertinent to U.S. entry, status maintenance, work permission, health and safety, academic progress and program completion.
- Updates and maintains the International Students Office Website and other electronic communication with international students.
- Conducts immigration and cultural orientation sessions.
- Provides relevant resources and experiential learning opportunities.
- Facilitates and evaluates support programs, intercultural training, student activities and/or orientation programs for international students; assists in preparing orientation packages for new students.
- Serves on appropriate College committees.
- Bachelor's Degree required
- Strong organizational and administrative abilities are essential, as are excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively
- Excellent analytical and problem solving ability
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Interest in working with diverse cultures and communities.
- Multilingual skills preferred; in languages such as: Mandarin Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Spanish, Thai, or French
- Ability to set goals and meet deadlines
- Knowledge of SEVIS operations, reporting and record keeping preferred
- Must meet Dept of Homeland Security qualifications for SEVIS Access.
- Experience advising international students on immigration, cultural, college enrollment, registration, and student life issues preferred
- Knowledge of student support services and resources preferred
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Assists and advises international students on immigration and related issues
- Advises new and continuing international students on immigration procedures, registration, change of status, leave of absence, and other issues; facilitates immigration paperwork and data processing
- Processes information in related systems such as SEVIS (Student Exchange Visitor Immigration System) and I-1440 databases related to student activities; assists in maintaining student records and creating related reports
- Maintains up-to-date information on regulations, policies and practices (internal and external) pertaining to international students
- Assists in organizing orientation programs, cross-cultural events, and informational workshops
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Assistant to HEO
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with experience ($39,282- $45,957).
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefit. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria
HOW TO APPLY
Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the application instructions. Please have your curriculum vitae/ resume and scholarly interest or cover letter with names and contact information of 3 references available to attach into the application before you begin. Please note that the required material must be uploaded as ONE document. The document must be in .doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, or text format- and name of file should not exceed ten (10) characters. Incomplete application packages will not be considered.
Open until filled with review of applications to begin June 22, 2017.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Hunter College
Job Title: Student Life International Student Advisor (International Students Office, Division of Student Affairs) (Multiple Positions)
Job ID: 16567
Full/Part Time: Full-Time