CUNY Administrative Assistant, 1A (Provisional) - Student Financial Aid
This position has responsibility for the operation of a major administrative College activity, or difficult administrative and secretarial work in an office with College-wide responsibilities, or in an unusually complex academic department. May perform duties described under the lower title, CUNY Office Assistant (04802). Persons in this position are accountable for rendering quality services in a respectful, courteous and professional manner. In the University's multicultural environment, incumbents provide consistent assistance to everyone.
A CUNY Administrative Assistant position will be assigned to either Level 1 or Level 2. A position assigned to Level 1, with wide latitude for the exercise of independent initiative and judgment, performs office or secretarial work in various units, following relevant departmental, College, and University procedures. A position assigned to Level 2, with wide latitude for the exercise of independent initiative and judgment, performs very complex administrative or supervisory work; may work with other College units to complete significant administrative functions (e.g., payroll, facilities, personnel, budget, records, security, etc.).
This position is in CUNY's Classified Civil Service. The full specification is available on our web site at http://www.cuny.edu/about/administration/offices/ohrm/hros/classification/ccsjobs.html
CUNY Administrative Assistant
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
* OPEN TO CURRENT ELIGIBLE CUNY ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANTS AND CUNY OFFICE ASSISTANTS (LEVELS 3 & 4) ONLY *
LaGuardia Community College, located in Long Island City, Queens, educates more than 50,000 New Yorkers annually through degree, certificate, and continuing education programs. Our guiding principle Dare To Do More reflects our belief in the transformative power of education—not just for individuals, but for our community and our country—creating pathways for achievement and safeguarding the middle class. LaGuardia is a national voice on behalf of community colleges, where half of all US college students study. Part of the City University of New York (CUNY), the College reflects the legacy of our namesake, Fiorello H. LaGuardia, the former NYC mayor beloved for his championing the underserved. Since our doors opened in 1971, our programs regularly become national models for pushing boundaries to give people of all backgrounds access to a high quality, affordable college education. We invite you to join us in imagining what our students, our community, and our country can become. Visit www.LaGuardia.edu to learn more.
Under supervision of the Senior Director, the Administrative Assistant will prepare complex statistical reports, assists in monitoring departmental budget and expenditures, prepare purchase requisitions, orders, and budget modifications.
In addition, the Administrative Assistant will be responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
- Performs day-today administrative tasks relating to facilities, storage, and disposition of Student Financial Services (SFS) records and equipment.
- Schedules and maintains the calendar of meetings and appointments for the Senior Director.
- Drafts confidential reports and memoranda as directed.
- Performs secretarial duties including sending correspondence as well as sorting, and distributing mail.
- Updates SFS Annual Report and Activities calendar
- Collects data from managers for the SFS monthly report.
- Provides information on all aid programs to external agencies as directed.
- Maintains the office calendar and schedules staff meetings as directed. Takes minutes at staff meetings.
- Maintains all administrative files and staff records.
- Collaborate with staff and administrators throughout the college, university, and the community to resolve inquiries or issues.
- Assists SFS managers and staff with arrangements for special events and projects as needed (e.g travel, conferences, workshops).
Proof of meeting qualification requirements is needed before the close of a Civil Service Examination filing period. You may be asked to provide proof of meeting these requirements at any time between your application and the close of the filing period.
- Permanent status as a CUNY Office Assistant at Assignment Level 1 (Pay Level 3) or Assignment Level 2 (Pay Level 4).
Candidates who meet the above requirements must also meet requirements 2 and 4 after the close of the filing period.
- Candidates must take and pass a job-related Civil Service Examination that measures critical competencies for the position.
- Candidates must undergo a background check, including a fingerprint screening and a verification of their education and work history.
- Candidates must demonstrate technical competence in using job-related software (e.g., word processing or other).
- Knowledge of Windows XP, Excel, Access, Powerpoint, and Publisher required.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills required.
- Ability to interface with a large multi-cultural population consisting of students, faculty, and administrators.
- Ability to handle difficult students, de-escalate conflicts and make appropriate referrals.
- Schedule must be flexible during peak periods (e.g registration) and when assigned to special projects to ensure office deadlines are met.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, go to www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Please attach a cover letter, resume, and the contact information for three professional references as one document in rtf, doc or pdf format.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Support Staff
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: LaGuardia Community College
Job Title: CUNY Administrative Assistant, 1A (Provisional) - Student Financial Aid
Job ID: 16833
Full/Part Time: Full-Time