Employee Labor Relations Officer
About Baltimore City Community College
Founded in 1947, Baltimore City Community College (BCCC) is a comprehensive, urban institution accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. The College's campus is located in West Baltimore; the institution also has several satellite locations throughout the city. With its broad range of degree and certificate programs, affordable tuition, and extensive outreach, BCCC offers educational opportunities to the citizens of Baltimore City and throughout the state of Maryland. BCCC serves more than 15,000* students annually, providing credits that transfer to four-year colleges and universities as well as workforce training leading directly to job placement. The College is proud of the fact that 100** nations are represented within the student body.
* Based on annual unduplicated credit and non-credit headcount for FY 2016. **Based on fall 2015 credit enrollment.
Requisition Number: 2017-055
Posting Start Date: 6/9/2017
Minimum Education: Bachelors
Additional Documentation: Transcripts Required (upload as other)
Compensation: $57,870 - $65,171
Employee Labor Relations Officer
Overview of position: Summary of position's responsibilities: The HR Employee Labor Relations Officer is responsible for fostering a collegial relationship amongst employees and the College. This includes developing, implementing, administering and analyzing the employer-employee relationship through ongoing performance management initiatives. This position will ensure that relations with employees comply with applicable federal, state and local laws, regulations and resolving workplace disputes. Additionally this position will assist the Executive Director of Human Resources with the Colleges collective bargaining agreement negotiations and administration, the development and administration of appropriate policies /procedures, employee performance management and disciplinary measures as well as other strategic employee relations initiatives. This position will serve as second chair. Also, the position works to minimize the College's exposure to occupational safety and health injuries by administering a comprehensive safety program, emphasizing a proactive approach to employee safety and accident & illness prevention.
An HR Employee Labor Relations Officer is responsible for the:
- Responsible for assisting management and their staff with addressing work related conflicts by providing advice and recommendations;
- Designs and implements college's Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity plans;
- environment, management and other factors that may affect employee morale, motivation and efficiency
- Provides guidance to supervisors/managers and employees on the College's performance evaluation process in an effort to properly manage performance expectations; conducts annual training on the subject matter and when requested;
- Participates in negotiations with union representatives and College with a view to achieving positive, mutually beneficial outcomes;
- Serves as a second chair in negotiations;
- Manages the College Family Medical Leave (FMLA), Unemployment Insurance and Workers Compensation processes to insure compliance with federal/state laws; develops and conducts trainings on specific subject matter as needed;
- Collaborates with the State of Maryland Worker's Compensation representative to ensure accuracy of workers compensation data and records; enforces all appropriate Occupational Safety and Health regulations as it pertains to workers compensation;
Employees in this classification receive supervision from the Executive HR Director.
Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of employee relations;
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of collective bargaining;
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of workplace health and safety;
- Knowledge of federal, state and local laws governing labor management, workplace health & safety and equal employment opportunity;
- Knowledge of hazardous materials, occupational hazards and safety precautions;
- Ability to interpret and apply employment laws and policies;
- Ability to interpret, evaluate and assess collective bargaining contracts/proposals;
- Ability to negotiate and resolve conflicts;
- Ability to prepare recommended strategies, solutions and approaches;
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships;
- Ability to operate a personal computer and related hardware and software;
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources Management, Industrial Relations, Business Administration or related field.
- Minimum Five years' experience in human resources management with an emphasis on collective bargaining, employee & labor relations, and/or workplace health & safety;
- Experience in conducting Investigations.
- Master's Degree in Human Resources Management, Business Administration or related field.
- (5) Five years' experience preferred;
- Professional Human Resources (PHR) designation or Senior Professional Human Resources (SPHR).
- Experience in an institution of Higher Education.
BCCC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. Applicants needing accommodation for any part of the application and/or hiring process should request the accommodation from The Office of Human Resources office by contacting us at 410.209.6055 or HRComplianceCoordina@bccc.edu
For more information, view the EEO is the Law Poster and Pay Transparency Statement.