Invention Manager Assistant
Invention Manager Assistant
CVD-LICENSING & VENTURES
The Invention Manager Assistant for the Office of Licensing & Ventures (OLV) will support the efforts of the Director and Associate Directors and will be an essential part of the licensing team. You should be a self-starter and work well both independently and with direction. OLV is a service-oriented organization and your excellent interpersonal skills will be needed to interface with individuals in the office, with our clients at Duke, and with Duke's external business partners. Your responsibilities will vary widely and will benefit from an ability to solve problems, organize and coordinate office processes, and implement creative approaches to improve the efficiency and performance of the office. We are looking for a dynamic person who will anticipate, enhance, implement and prioritize the key aspects this position involves.
- Assist 6 (or more) Invention Managers with administration requests including but not limited to:
- Coordinate meetings including OLV events on campus
- Coordinate travel arrangements
- Schedule and book conferences
- Order & direct catering
- Assist in developing and responding to correspondence related to marketing
- Answer & respond to incoming phone calls and emails to the office
- Review license agreements and identify due diligence requirements and other licensee obligations for Invention Managers
- Database entry of agreements and agreement terms (CDAs/SRAs)
- Conduct internet and database research; produce reports on findings
- Work closely with IT department on database needs relating to agreement and technology records
- Prioritize responses to patent-related correspondence
- Conduct patent-related searches in database and create corresponding spreadsheets of this data as required by Invention Managers
- Create confidentiality disclosure agreements, amendments and other agreements
- Assist staff in developing and responding to correspondence related to contract compliance (primarily non-financial)
- Responsible for office supply and breakroom supply ordering and stocking
- Work collaboratively with other administrative staff, as well as provide back up to the office manager
Patent Management & Marketing Duties:
There will be opportunities to be involved with a variety of project specific assignments relating to patent management and marketing, all directed by the needs of the office. This may encompass but is not limited to:
- Conduct patent searches
- Assist with identifying and maintaining contacts at companies and other institutions
- Respond to marketing related correspondence
- Process incoming information
- Carry out research on new and existing companies
There will be opportunities to be involved with a variety of specific licensing and agreement management processes relating to particular technology files, directed by the Associate Director who manages those files. This may encompass but is not limited to:
- Being the main point of contact for initial licensing inquiries for these technologies
- Responding appropriately to obtain the necessary information to draft a license agreement to send for review
- Evaluating the given information to draft the agreement, with the assistance of the Associate Director when needed
- Receiving, overseeing the execution and return of the license agreement
- Entering the agreement into the database to generate invoices and manage the agreement going forward; i.e., renewals, extensions, receipt of payment, etc.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
1004 ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status. Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a general educational background normally equivalent to a full high school education plus two years post-secondary education in a business-related field.
Work requires 4 years related business or administrative experience to become familiar with general personnel practices, accounting and budgeting principles and coordination of major office activities. OR ANY OTHER EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE.
Marketing and/or product promotion.
Familiarity with contract language, legal terms, and intellectual property matters.
Proven skills with database applications, publication searching, and strong command of PowerPoint and Excel are essential.
Must be keen and eager to jump in and without fear attempt to master our internal database tools and search engines as needed.
Good writing and grammatical skills are vital for writing, editing and proofing memos and reports.
Must have demonstrated excellence in self-motivation, initiative, interpersonal communication, and organizational skills.
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.