General Maintenance Worker
The General Maintenance Worker: will fix and maintain machines, mechanical equipment, and buildings. This individual will paint, repair flooring, and work on plumbing, electrical, and air-conditioning and heating systems. In the event of an emergency he/she may be called to support necessary tasks in association with that emergency. The general responsibilities of the position include those listed below, but management may identify other responsibilities of the position.
Duties and Tasks:
- Performs light maintenance service under the auspices of a qualified skilled tradesperson, including plumbing, carpentry, painting and plastering, machine servicing, electrical repairs or installations, or vehicle servicing.
- Performs tasks such as but not limited to changing light bulbs, installing paper dispenser units, changing filters, changing locks on doors, minor decorative maintenance and other tasks not requiring a licensed skilled trades person or journeyman. Cleans and lubricates parts identifies and corrects unsafe working conditions with management oversight. Attends training programs (classroom and virtual) as designated.
- Complies with all company safety and risk management policies and procedures. Reports all accidents and injuries in a timely manner. Participates in regular safety meetings, safety training and hazard assessments. Applies all applicable OSHA and related local safety requirements to all assigned work.
- Performs all work in accordance with established safety procedures. May be required to assist with special events. May drive a cart or other vehicle, assists skilled trade workers in one or more areas performing specific or standard duties to learn
- New skills as required for advancement and certification. May be required to utilize basic cleaning and other chemicals.
- May assist in training, assigning and checking the work of lower level employees. Examines mechanical equipment to diagnose trouble. Disassembles machines and repairs or replaces broken parts, adjusts functional parts of mechanical devices as necessary. May orders replacement parts and equipment with management approval.
- May be required to inventory equipment, parts and supplies.
- May repair and maintain machinery and mechanical equipment, such as motors, pumps, conveyors, belts, fans, air conditioners, etc.
- Ability to present self in a highly professional manner to others and understands that honesty and ethics are essential.
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude.
- Ability to communicate with co-workers and other departments with professionalism and respect.
- Ability to maintain a professional relationship with all coworkers, vendor representatives, supervisors, managers, customers and client representatives.
- Ability to provide clear directions and respond accordingly to employees,
- Ability to read and understand relevant written materials and schematic drawings.
- Must have basic phone and computer skills (email, texting, etc.).
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Ability to work well independently.
- Willingness to be open to learning and growing.
- Maturity of judgment and behavior. Maintains high standards for work areas and appearance. Attends work and shows up for scheduled shift on time with satisfactory regularity in light of university time and attendance policy and/or operating hours. Ability to work a flexible schedule.
- Must comply with any dress code requirements. Must be able to work nights, weekends and some holidays
- Wears protective clothing and/or equipment required by the work environment or governmental regulations.
- Good attention to detail.
- May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- High School diploma, GED or equivalent experience preferred. 1 or more years of related experience preferred.
- Holds appropriate License/certification for the specific work to be done in the city and state in which the work will be done. A valid driver's license may be required,
- Knowledge of and proficiency in all OSHA and local requirements related to all assigned work.
- Close vision, Color vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus, with or without corrective lenses.
- Significant walking or other means of mobility.
- Ability to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to 8 hours).
- Ability to work in tight and/or elevated locations (lifts, rooftops, ladders).
- May be required to climb ladders of up to 36 feet.
- Ability to reach, bend, stoop, push and/or pull, and frequently lift up to 35 pounds and occasionally lift/move 40 pounds.
- WORKING CONDITIONS (MAY ADD ADDITIONAL CONDITIONS SPECIFIC TO DEFINED WORK LOCATION):
- Will Work in both indoor and outdoor environments, in varying weather conditions.
- Varying schedule to include evenings, holidays, weekends and extended hours as business dictates.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
Job ID 2017-1282
Category Human Resources
Job Locations US-FL-Saint Leo