Licensed Practical Nurse
Licensed Practical Nurse-1701712
Position Summary: At the Long Island State Veterans Home, our Licensed Practical Nurses are critical members of the team who diagnose and treat responses to actual or potential health problems by means of nursing methods and techniques such as case finding, health teaching and counseling. Incumbents provide care supportive to and restorative of health and well-being, while adhering to a medical regimen. Duties of a Licensed Practical Nurse may include the following but are not limited to:
- Provides and ensures nursing care to the residents on the nursing unit within the framework of the medical and nursing care plan, the policies of the Department and, under the supervision of a professional nurse.
- Monitors the residents closely to identify response to treatments, medication and/or changes in health status. Provides treatments to the residents according to the medical and nursing care plan and consistent with the policies of the Department.
- Prepares and dispenses medication to the residents according to the medical plan of care and consistent with the policies of the Department.
- Directly assists with the residents activities of daily living, including direct care, observation of status and changes and supervision of non-professional staff.
- Documents daily in the residents progress notes all pertinent data, information and observations, and assists with weekly, monthly and annual documentation descriptive of resident status and care.
- Communicates immediately all changes and/or incidents to his/her immediate supervisor and completes required documentation (i.e. incident/accidents reports, infection control reports, twenty four hour supervisory report, shift report).
- Maintains policies and procedures relevant to medications including management of controlled substances.
- Communicates to supervisor, nursing staff and other departments and disciplines all pertinent information and changes impacting resident care.
- Listens and responds appropriately to concerns or issues expressed by residents and families.
- Ensures and provides direct care to the resident that is consistent with the comprehensive assessment, request of the resident and the goals of the plan of care.
- Works closely with other professional and disciplines to ensure timely and coordinated care.
- Participates in the Quality Assurance Program of the Department and serves on committees pertinent to the quality of care of the residents.
- Participates in the orientation of new employees to the nursing unit and the clinical in-service of non-professional staff.
NYS LPN License.
One year of Healthcare experience working with an adult or aging population in a clinical setting. Long term care experience. Experience using electronic medical records.
Working conditions may involve exposure to infectious disease, blood, body fluids and/or tissue as well as other unpleasant elements such as accidents, injuries and illness. May be exposed to and be required to handle varying unpredictable, emergency and crisis situations. Occasionally subjected to irregular hours and pressure due to multiple calls and inquiries.
Special Notes: The Long Island State Veterans Home is a tobacco free environment. Tobacco is strictly prohibited anywhere on campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation. Prior to start date, the selected candidate must meet the following requirements: Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from the Long Island State Veterans Home Employee Health Department, clear a background investigation, submit three (3) written references, and provide a copy of the required license(s)/certificate(s). Please be advised that failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer.
The Long Island State Veterans Home, located on the campus of Stony Brook University, is a 350-bed skilled nursing facility with a 40-slot Adult Day Health Care Program dedicated to the care of honorably discharged Veterans of the United States Armed Forces, their spouses and Gold Star parents. Join an organization whose people make a difference every day and where commitment, compassion, initiative and leadership are recognized and rewarded. We care for America's heroes every day.
Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We are committed to the creation of a diverse and inclusive campus climate. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING(631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AThttp://www.stonybrook.edu/police.
Official Job Title: Licensed Practical Nurse
Job Field: Nursing
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: Nursing-Long Island State Veterans Home
Schedule: Part-time Night Shift 11:00 PM - 7:30 AMNursing-Long Island State Veterans Home
Posting Start Date: Jun 9, 2017
Posting End Date: Jun 23, 2017, 10:59:00 PM
Salary: Per civil service guidelines
Salary Grade: SG10