Research Specialist I
Requisition # 2017-7637
Department Civil and Environmental Eng
Category Research and Laboratory
Date Posted 6/9/2017
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Application Deadline ..
HKF Technologies has licensed a new method for denitrificationin waste waters based on zero valent (ZVI) iron that produces hydrogen which becomes the energy source of the denitrifiers. HKF Technologies would like to work with Princeton University and DC Water to further develop this technology. We seek to hire an individual that is either familiar with the technology or can learn it to implement it at the bench scale at Princeton and DC Water.
In addition, the individual will be involved in building a biological membrane reactor for simultaneous nitrification and denitrificaion.
- Careful monitoring and control of dissolved oxygen levels in the reactor.
- Once the reactor is built, it will be operated to optimize both carbon oxidation and nitrogen removal.
- Obtain a thorough understanding of the ZVI based denitrification technology.
- Give detailed lectures and explanations of the fundamental working, what is known, what is unknown to Prof. Jaff , the Jaff lab and collaborators at DC Water. The latter will require trips to DC Water.
- Build a bench scale reactor to demonstrate the technology and possibly combine it with the task described below.
- Build and start operating a simultaneous nitrification denitrification bench scale membrane reactor
- Operate the simultaneous nitrification denitrification bench scale membrane reactor and monitor carbon and nitrogen removal for various oxygen supply regimes.
- Determine if the ZVI technology can be used to polish the
- effluent of the simultaneous nitrification denitrification bench
- Scale membrane reactor
- Write paper/report summarizing the findings
Bachelor's degree in Environmental Engineering
Master's degree in Environmental Engineering
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Estimated Appointment End Date
Comments Related to End Date
This is a six (6) month term position, subject to renewal based on funding and satisfactory performance.
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.