Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado School of Medicine
University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus
Department of Pediatrics - Section of Emergency Medicine
Professional Research Assistant
Position # 629253 - Requisition # 9655
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding.
Nature of Work
- Clinical trials in Pediatric Emergency Department
- Trials include safety/efficacy, including drug and treatment trials; quality assurance; and assessment of patients' and caregivers' comfort and comprehension.
- Clinical research - Pediatrics, Emergency Medicine
- Mimi Munroe, MA, Research Manager, Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado School of Medicine, (303) 724-7413
- Rakesh Mistry, MD, MS, Research Director, Section of Emergency Medicine, Children's Hospital Colorado, Denver, office: 303-724-6575
Example of Work:
- Enroll eligible patients in clinical and observational trials
- Screen and assist in assessment of patients seen in the ED for eligibility in multiple ongoing prospective clinical research study protocols
- Complete the entire consent process, including approaching patients and explaining study procedures and consent forms, answering questions concerning the studies, and obtaining signatures for informed consent and assent from patients and caregivers
- Perform and/or coordinate the events of the studies
- Instruct clinical staff on their study roles
- Ensure accurate completion of data collection forms
- Accurate data entry
- Query resolution
- Medical chart review
- Follow-up interviews, both in-person and via telephone
- Some unskilled clinical care duties, including laboratory work
- Administer and review video tapes of study visits
- Database maintenance
- Data collection for retrospective studies
- Other duties necessary to completion of research studies
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is $34,000 and is non-negotiable. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
- Must be available for nights and weekends (shifts are generally 8-10 hours). Examples could be 7am - 5pm or 2pm - midnight on weekends, or 2pm - midnight on weekdays.
- BS/BA or BSN
- The candidate must have experience conducting the Informed Consent Process
- Computer experience, especially using Microsoft Excel and an Electronic Medical Records system
- COMIRB and HIPAA requirement for researchers must be met prior to first ED shift
- Must abide by hospital, University, local, state, and national regulations regarding human subject research
Condition of Employment:
- Must successfully pass a drug test through Children's Hospital Colorado
- Must be willing and able to pass a national criminal background check
Required Competencies: Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Interpersonal skills
- Strong personal direction and motivation
- Able to perform duties autonomously, as well as under direct supervision
- Ability to multi-task, as we are screening for multiple studies at any given moment
- Ideal candidate will possess the ability to work in a sometimes stressful environment
- Ability to identify patients qualifying for a number of diverse clinical research studies
- Ability and willingness to be present in patient rooms during procedures that may or may not be related to the study
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology
- Accuracy and strong attention to detail
- Prior experience in clinical research and/or clinical experience
- Bilingual/Spanish-speaking skills a plus
- Familiarity with emergency/outpatient setting
- Experience in interviewing and ability to execute these skills with persons under emergency conditions
- Experience working with children and parents
- Willingness to receive supervision
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Questions should be directed to Mimi Munroe at firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 9655
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20989 - SOM-PEDS Emergency-GenOps
Posting Date: Jun 9, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Mimi Munroe
Posting Contact Email: Mimi.Munroe@childrenscolorado.org
Position Number: 00629253