Adjunct Instructor - ESL
Adjunct Instructor - ESL
Position Category: Faculty - Adjunct (Variable Hour)
Under administrative direction of the department chair, instructors shall perform some or all of the following duties:
- Teach a variety of ESL courses which may include listening and speaking, pronunciation, reading and vocabulary, grammar, and writing
- Plan, prepare, and follow an approved course of study that includes measurable objectives for each course taught
- Prepare instructional materials (course syllabi, exams, visual aids, and other instruction materials) as necessary
- Instruct, manage, and supervise individuals and groups in class, and use appropriate teaching methods
- Evaluate instruction and learning by means of appropriate testing methods (oral, written, etc.)
- Maintain a student-oriented approach to education
- Be available for student consultation
- Establish and maintain a positive classroom environment and rapport with students
- Recommend students for advancement and program completion
- Maintain and submit accurate and current reports and records involving student attendance, performance, and follow-up
- Assist the academic advisor, department chair, other faculty, and department staff in maintaining an effective program
- Attend faculty and other meetings
- Be thoroughly familiar with academic freedom and professional responsibility statement and adheres to these policies
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Graduation from an accredited institution with a bachelors degree in a TESL, applied linguistics or related field.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of subject matter and content of English as a Second Language and support courses (list as supplement on separate sheet of paper by ESL and Support Categories indicating course hours and grade received)
- Knowledge of current trends in education, counseling, technology, and advising.
- Skill in instructional strategies and techniques of student management, motivation, and evaluation.
- Skill in curriculum and course development and evaluation.
- Interpersonal, problem solving, decision-making, and supervisory skills.
- Engage in innovative, student-centered pedagogy.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English (orally and in writing).
A Master’s Degree in TESL, applied linguistics.
Standing, sitting, moving about a classroom continuously. Continual talking and listening and fine hand manipulation with use of computer programs.
Pay Range: DOQ
Advertisement Number: FAC01717
Open Date: 06/07/2017
Review Start Date:
Close Date: 3/31/2018
Open Until Filled: No
Special Instructions to Applicant: Adjunct faculty are hired on an as needed basis for a semester appointment only. This position is posted on a continuous recruit basis. This means that applications are accepted even though there may not be a position currently available. Any offer of employment will be contingent upon the results of a background check, which includes a criminal records check. A criminal conviction is not necessarily a bar to employment.
To apply, visit: https://www.uvu.jobs/postings/1058
Utah Valley University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/ Equal Access Employer and committed to fostering a diverse workforce. As an inclusive community, we actively seek diversity among our applicants for this position. Candidates who can contribute to that goal are particularly encouraged to apply.