Police Officer 499600
Police Officer 499600
Position Type: Staff
Position Number: 499600
Department: Police Department
Job Summary/Basic Function:
The purpose of this position is to provide law enforcement service the Lamar University campus, the Lamar Institute of Technology (LIT) campus, and the surrounding neighborhoods.
Essential Job Functions:
This job title supports the operations of Lamar University (LU) & Lamar Institute of Technology (LIT) and its Police Department by fulfilling the following functions:
* Patrol campus in radio-equipped vehicle.
* Protects life and property against criminal attack and preserves the peace.
* Provides protection against harmful acts, both willful and inadvertent of non-criminal as well as criminal class.
* Responsible for the security and policing of campus buildings.
* Educates and/or informs students, faculty and staff concerning parking regulations and enforces parking regulations.
* Maintains effective relations with faculty, staff, and students.
* Regulates vehicles and pedestrians in traffic in order to prevent accidents and congestion.
* Provides service to all persons on campus, gives information, assists and comforts those in distress.
* Cooperates with all local law enforcement agencies, investigates all criminal acts and processes the recovery of stolen property.
* Arrests offenders in violation of city, state, and federal laws.
* Enforces all University and LIT campus regulations.
* Writes reports on all criminal acts and violations of University and LIT regulations and makes follow-up reports when required.
* Prepares cases for presentation in court and testifies as a witness when called.
* Completes reports as necessary.
* Performs other duties as required.
* Graduation from an accredited high school or completion of a GED.
* Must not be less than 21 years of age.
* Must be capable of being licensed and certified as a Police Officer by The Texas Commission on Law Enforcement.
* Must have satisfactory results from written test, background investigation, required medical exam, agility test, and psychological exam, and results from the interview process.
* Must have or obtain a valid Texas motor vehicle operator’s license.
* Candidate may be asked to complete a ride along on a patrol shift prior to job offer.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
* Knowledge of functions and obligations of law enforcement.
* Ability to direct traffic and regulate traffic and parking problems.
* Knowledge of the use and care of firearms.
* Ability to exercise clear, quick thinking in emergencies.
* Demonstrate initiative and good judgment.
* Ability to deal with people with a firm and tactful manner.
* Ability to meet the public courteously and intelligently.
* Ability to write concise, intelligible reports.
* Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
* Knowledge of how to apply first aid.
* Ability to cooperate with representatives of other law enforcement agencies.
* Ability to maintain effective relations with faculty, staff, and students.
* Must be willing to work at night, on weekends, and to report for duty any time an emergency arises.
* Must be available to work various shifts with rotating days off.
* Must be able to perform heavy lifting, exerting 50-100 lbs. occasionally, 10-25 lbs. frequently, or up to 10-20 lbs. constantly.
* Constantly sits, sees, speaks, and drives. Frequently stands, walks, kneels, crouches, squats, twists body, lifts heavy objects and people; pushes vehicles; and writes by hand. Infrequently crawls, climbs, runs, fights, and wrestles. Vision must be correctable to 20/20. Must have normal hearing. Essential functions or requirements listed above may not be performed in every position with this title, and these essential functions may not include all related duties that might be requested and/or performed.
* Individuals in this position works inside and outside in all types of weather; is exposed to dirt, dust, noise, fumes, odors, heat, cold, rain, humidity, and sudden temperature changes; frequently is exposed to mechanical hazards, traffic hazards, and bodily injuries; is infrequently exposed to chemical, electronic, and fire hazards, explosives, and contagious diseases.
* Associates degree or higher preferred.
* Previous experience in a university police department of similar size is preferred.
Lamar University is proud to provide employment preference to veteran applicants in accordance with Texas SB 805, Section 657.003.
Security Sensitive Statement:
This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code §51.215, which authorizes the employer to obtain criminal history record information.
Posting Date: 06/08/2017
Open Until Filled: Yes
To apply, visit https://jobs.lamar.edu/.
Lamar University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of Lamar University not to discriminate on the basis of non-relevant criteria including, but not limited to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status in its educational programs, activities, admissions or employment practices.