Dean of Students
Dean of Students
Job Summary / Basic Function
Serves as Dean of Students at the College and is responsible for providing leadership, organization, supervision and evaluation of the following departments and programs: enrollment management, assessment, financial aid, college-readiness, academic advising, counseling, disability services, transfer advising, career counseling, community outreach and academic testing. Responsible for administering college policies and procedures regarding students' rights and responsibilities and working collaboratively with instructional deans, faculty and academic support personnel to achieve student access and success.
1. Directs all activities of the Student Success Department including, but not limited to: financial aid, enrollment management, orientation, registration, testing, academic advisement, scholarships, job placement, career and transfer, international student services, disabled student services, veteran's affairs, student life and student-related activities.
2. Develops, implements, monitors and evaluates campus services for assessment, college-readiness, academic advising, counseling, disability services, transfer advising, career counseling, community outreach, and academic testing.
3. Provides leadership, direction and supervision to students, faculty and staff. Hires, trains, supervises, and evaluates Student Success staff.
4. Develops budgets and monitors assigned budgets.
5. Participates in the identification and review of student needs and interests and provides for positive response to such changing needs.
6. Participates in the development and implementation of the Institute policies, procedures and guidelines.
7. Ensures student rights and responsibilities are followed and respected, including providing due process in all student matters.
8. Directs the student judicial process to include but not limited to developing and implementing policies and procedures, conducting investigations, and determining student outcomes.
9. Serves as consultant to Dean of Instruction, Department Chairs and faculty on student disciplinary issues.
10. Participates in developing and implementing Institute initiatives.
11. Serves on assigned Institute committees and assists in college-wide planning, implementation and evaluation of assigned disciplines or programs.
12. Provides leadership in planning and implementing counseling and staff development activities and the development of new educational programs and services to meet the needs of students and of the local community.
13. Interprets federal and state guidelines and works with the appropriate Institute departments to ensure compliance.
14. Administers all aspects related to student discipline.
15. Works with the president and other staff to assure college-wide institutional needs are met.
16. Directs the assessment and advising activities for assigned high schools.
17. Ensures continuous quality improvement in student services programs and services by analyzing qualitative and quantitative data.
18. Provides guidance at the campus level for all other student success services to ensure, strong, reliable, and high quality services.
19. Provides collaborative leadership to provide integrated and aligned, quality campus services.
20. Collaborates with instructional deans, department chairs, faculty and academic support staff to improve student retention.
21. Directs college leadership in strategic and organizational planning processes to increase college completion, graduation, and or transfer.
22. Develops and revises policies, procedures, and operational guidelines in support of the teaching and learning environment.
23. Participates in the acquisition and management of grants.
24. Directs, monitors, and evaluates adherence to the local, state, federal, and Southern Association of
College and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) regulations.
25. Participates in appropriate professional activities.
26. Promotes an environment supportive of the Institute vision and mission, student-centered services and teaching excellence.
Master’s Degree in related field.
Five years related work experience in management, higher education, and/or counseling, and/or disability services. Supervisory experience required. Experience in enrollment management and/or financial aid preferred. Two- year College experience preferred
Demonstrate an ability to effectively manage a student success department in a two year college.
Demonstrate commitment to participatory governance, consensus building, and team approach to management.
Effective communication skills that foster a collegial, collaborative working environment.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
1. Understands student development theory and student discipline in a higher education setting.
2. Demonstrates expertise in project planning, development, implementation and analysis.
3. Prepares and presents information and summary reports internally and to the public.
4. Understands the two-year college philosophy and mission.
5. Handles the demands and requirements of senior-level management in higher education.
6. Effective leadership and ethics techniques, including Servant-Leadership principles.
7. Experience incorporating theoretical and practical competencies involving student development.
8. Mediation, and conflict management.
9. Plans and manages budgets and personnel needs.
10. Demonstrates success in working with students, staff, and faculty regarding student conduct matters.
11. Maintains confidentiality in work related information and materials.
12. Works in a collaborative manner with diverse constituencies, working effectively with a diverse and multi-cultural student body and staff.
13. Excellent communication, written and verbal, and interpersonal skills, including skills at persuading others.
14. Provides leadership at all levels of the college.
15. Handles multiple projects while meeting deadlines.
Work Hours: Evenings, weekends and extended work days are often expected
Open Date: 06/06/2017
Open Until Filled: Yes
Security Sensitive Statement
This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code §51.215, which authorizes the employer to obtain criminal history record information.
To apply, visit https://jobs.lit.edu/postings/196
Lamar Institute of Technology is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. Lamar Institute of Technology is proud to provide employment preference to veteran applicants in accordance with Texas SB 805, Section 657.003.