Kitchen Utility - Lead, Posting ID #2251
This position is responsible for supervising utility duties. This is a working position which means the supervisor will be working in the dish room as well as directing other utility workers on procedures for the facility.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the Director of Operations performs the following essential duties and responsibilities:
- Set up dish machine before the start of meal, work with staff throughout meal service to wash all dishes in the dish room and keep tray return cleared during meal service. Break down dish machine and clean dish room at end of service.
- Promote a safe work environment. Keep dish room area organized and sanitary, being aware of potential cross-contamination hazards.
- Work with utility staff to maintain dish room; return kitchen and catering supplies to assigned areas, re-stock dishes in the server, sweep and mop dish room floor, empty kitchen trash cans and ensure loading dock remains clear of spills and debris.
- Ensure utility staff members are working at their assigned locations for the day, remaining productive throughout their shift, and completing the cleaning checklists.
- Work with managers to supervise utility staff break schedules.
- Final cleaning of all dishes, sanitation and breakdown of dish machine at end of day and final sweep of dish room. Final emptying of all trash.
- Final walk-through of the facility to ensure all utility-related tasks have been completed. Ensure assignments have been completed at the end of each shift before staff is dismissed for the day.
- Other duties may be assigned as appropriate. This includes daily, weekly, monthly cleaning, cross training as time permits.
- Follow proper sanitation directives as established by Health Department. Comply with internal policies and procedures as they apply to food sanitation and safety within Dining Hall department. This includes but is not limited to keeping work area clean, properly/safely using equipment and keeping floor free of food/liquid that may be potential safety hazard, adhering to agreed work schedule, following proper call in procedures if you are going to be late or out when you are scheduled (within 2 hrs.). You may swipe in no earlier than 7 minutes before or 7 minutes after scheduled shift unless otherwise authorized by a manager.
Any combination of education, training and/or experience equivalent to High School Diploma or GED that provides the required knowledge, skills and ability.
Candidate must have experience working in a fast paced commercial kitchen. Candidate must have supervisory experience.
Los Angeles or California food handler card required.
A valid driver’s license is essential to drive College-owned vehicles.
Must be able to stand, walk, bend, climb, push, pull, stoop, twist, stretch, squat, reach and lift up to 50 lbs. from floor to waist level without assistance. Must be able to work on feet for prolonged periods of time.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
Individual must possess knowledge, skills, and ability to be able to successfully perform the essential functions of the position, or be able to explain or demonstrate how the essential functions will be performed, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of knowledge skills and abilities.
- Lead experience with proven ability to lead and motivate staff.
- Knowledge of food sanitation policies and procedures is required.
- Must have experience working in a fast paced commercial kitchen using commercial kitchen utility equipment.
- Be respectful and courteous to coworkers, customers, visitors, managers and others. Communicate clearly and professionally.
- Must be able to establish cooperative working relationships and work well with minimal supervision.
- Use organizational and time management skills. Take initiative in performance of your work tasks, and be willing to assist others as needed. Complete work with a sense of urgency, accuracy, and attention to detail.
- Deploy professional skills in in collaboration with colleagues, to best promote the College’s strategic interests and provide the best quality on campus food services.
- Must be able to satisfactory understand and follow job related instructions in English, both orally and written.
The regular hours for this full-time position line up with a 9 month academic calendar. The regular hours for this position are 40 hours per week, 5 days per week, or variable schedule based on business needs. Overtime, holiday, weekend and evening work hours may be required. Regular hours may vary due to needs of the College or division. Must be willing to work a flexible schedule.
CLASSIFICATION AND STATUS:
This is a 9 month position.
This is a non-exempt position.
This is a regular, full-time position.
This is a benefits eligible position.
IPEDS Category Job Code: Service
Physical Requirements: Moderate (20-50 lbs.)
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: Yes
GROOMING AND APPEARANCE: The Claremont Colleges seek to maintain a neat and professional image at all times. A uniform is required and will be provided.
BACKGROUND CHECK: The successful candidate will be required to undergo a full consumer background check. This position will require the successful completion of a post-offer physical agility test. Employment is contingent on the satisfactory results of the aforementioned, in addition to compliance with requirements cited in this job description.
ADA/OSHA: This job description defines the essential or fundamental job duties of this position. It is assumed that employees hired for this position can perform the essential functions of this job without imposing risk of substantial harm to the health or safety of themselves or others. It may also include marginal functions, generally defined within Title 1 of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
DISCLAIMER: This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this position. When duties and responsibilities change and develop, the College will review this job description and make changes of business necessity.