Hospitality Services Sales Manager
Hospitality Services Sales Manager
Department: Dining Services
Responsible for the creation, development, and all facets of execution of all sales activities or events and business processes of the USD Catering office. Responsible for sales activities or events in La Gran Terraza. Responsible for making sure confidentiality is maintained and guest expectations are met or exceeded reflecting the USD way. Manages all administrative aspects of USD Catering and supervises part time office staff. Responsible for maintaining existing catering accounts, as well as actively soliciting new business. Responsible for compiling and processing all event billings through Event Master and scheduling events in La Gran Terraza through EMS. Works closely with the Business Manager of Auxiliary Services. Manages paper flow of all event orders and updates Event Master on a daily basis. Works with a high degree of autonomy.
This position receives general supervision from the Director of Hospitality Services, and exercises close supervision of 2 casual workers.
Examples of Work:
The responsibilities described here are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
• Create a business plan and sales strategy for USD Catering that ensures attainment of a revenue expectation of $3M, sales goals, and profitability
• Responsible for special event sales performance of "La Gran Terraza" with a revenue expectation of $100k
• Responsible to assist the Director of Conference Services in attainment of a revenue expectation of $1.8M Sales Goal
• Consult newspapers, trade journals, websites to learn upcoming conventions and social events for solicitation efforts. Initiate and coordinate development of action plan to penetrate these new markets/customers. Make outside sales calls to promote USD Catering services and facilities.
• Perform timely payable invoice reconciliation to ensure expenses are paid in the same month revenue is generated.
• Provide timely, accurate, competitive pricing on all sales proposals created while striving to maintain maximum profit margin
• Maintain accurate records of all sales activity reports
• As an ambassador of USD Catering, partner with departments and student groups across campus to educate community members about USD catering.
• Strategically develop and execute events to accomplish the goals of the Catering Department (ie awards/holiday banquets, charity events, etc.)
• Work in collaboration with Director of Banquets and Catering on the execution of events
• Create Catering Sales contracts and event sheets ensuring data reflected is accurate to client specifications
• Determine appropriate response to RFPs and create proposals.
• Manage and follow-up on USD Catering guest satisfaction surveys ensuring guest concerns are resolved.
• Attend mandatory meetings (ie, departmental, staff, Banquet Event Order, (BEO), pre/post conference, etc.
•Chair the BEO meeting. Reviewing event sheets and making sure the kitchen and banquet operations have correct up-to-date information.
• In the absence of the Director of Catering Operations, Chair the Campus wide Catering meeting with all campus schedulers held once a week to ensure all campus events are accounted for.
• As a part of the Hospitality Services team, achieve department sales goals
Service existing accounts to uncover potential new business opportunities.
• Collaborate with chef de cuisine and banquet sous chef to ensure menus are current and competitive
Banquets and Catering
• Acts as the first point of contact for client information and questions, verifying and completing final work order forms for standard catering events for both internal and external customers.
• Reviews all orders for accuracy and follows up on discrepancies with clients.
• Maintain confidentiality of customer requests and needs as appropriate
• Updates Catering event book and on a daily basis and monitors the three month calendar for excessive production dates.
• Create and distribute event sheets in a timely manner. Revise as necessary; recording changes in the Catering change log.
• Insures daily communication with appropriate staff to adjust production according to
changes in guarantees, menu and location
• Ensures that catering policies and procedures are communicated to campus and adhered to by customers
• Supervises part time office personnel and casual workers direct office work flow.
• In collaboration with other Hospitality Services managers, develops strategies and goals for the department
• Attend meetings as needed to represent USD Catering
• Responsible for the accuracy and processing of computerized billing in a timely manner.
• Compiles data for monthly sales reports and submits data to the Director of Hospitality Services in a timely manner.
• Create and process deposits and petty cash requests, prepare check requests for signature.
• Responsible for following up with clients regarding past due accounts and outstanding balances. Referring to other USD departments if not paid in a timely manner.
• Responsible for updating current vendor invoice pricing on monthly inventory reports.
• Verifies the accuracy of all extensions, credit memos, and billing discrepancies.
• Verifies, copies, and forwards vendor invoices to Director of Hospitality Services for processing.
• Reviews monthly revenue reports, and checks them for accuracy, reconciling as necessary.
• Manages all administrative aspects of the USD Catering office.
• Acts as a liaison and information source within department: explains policies and procedures to employees, customers and other USD departments.
• Manages customer relationships within Hospitality Services department.
• Maintains professional standards through confidentiality, attitude and appearance.
• Creates menu cards as needed.
• Maintains event master database ensuring current menus are accurately reflected.
• Review, input, and approve payroll through Kronos
• Hires, trains, supervises, schedules, and evaluates part time office staff.
• Promotes a positive customer service attitude about USD Hospitality Services in communications and decisions.
• Enforces rules for employees conduct as established and takes appropriate disciplinary action as needed
• Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelors Degree in Business or Hospitality or any equivalent combination of education and experience with one year of full time experience substituting for a year of the required education.
• 2 to 5 years of experience in sales management with 1 year of office management required.
• 1 year of supervisory experience required.
•Strong understanding of customer and market dynamics and requirements
• Proven leadership and ability to drive sales team
• Experience with enterprise software solution and large, complex organization
• Excels in customer service and has prior experience in Catering and/or Hotel Sales
• The successful candidate will have experience developing contacts with meeting planners, local representatives and destination management companies
• Flexible work schedule required during peak periods.
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Ability to represent the University in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, customers, vendors and the larger San Diego community.
•Knows, follows and enforces University and Auxiliary Services policies and procedures.
• Sets a positive example for employees.
• Demonstrate the ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities and frequent interruptions
• Ability to work in a fast paced environment with frequent interruptions and minimal supervision.
• Thorough knowledge of standard business practices, procedures, and ethics.
• Ability to become familiar with and follow University and Auxiliary Services policies.
• Knowledge of and adherence to standard Banquets and Catering processes and procedures.
• Possess the ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing.
• Possess excellent human relations skills; ability to interact effectively with diverse personalities and populations.
• Assume responsibility, respond effectively to challenges, and exercise independent judgement when making decisions.
• High level of accuracy in work and attention to detail; good organizational skills.
• General knowledge of basic accounting principles
• Ability to handle confidential material and employment information with tact and discretion.
• Strong ability to use tools and equipment identified below.
• Ability to file numerically, alphabetically, and alpha-numerically.
Certificates, Licenses & Registrations:
• Serve Safe certification required by the State of California
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes. Serious candidates are encouraged to request official transcripts to help expedite the hiring process.
Salary: Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Closing date: Open Until Filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus.For more information, visitwww.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers' review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at email@example.com