Assistant Chairperson of Interior Design (1728)
The Department of Interior Design in the School of Design at Pratt Institute invites applications for an Assistant Chairperson to begin August 2017. The Interior Design department is a leading provider of both undergraduate and graduate education in the field. Reporting to the Chairperson, the selected candidate will assist with the daily operations of the department as well as with the development, implementation and management of the academic administration to support and improve the educational life of the students, faculty and staff.
Located on Pratt's historic 25-acre campus in the culturally diverse neighborhood of Clinton Hill, Brooklyn, Pratt is an internationally recognized school of architecture, art, design, and information which draws students from diverse cultural and geographic backgrounds. We are committed to advancing diversity and inclusion in our curriculum as well as in the ranks of our faculty, students and staff and seek applications who can contribute to the furtherance of these goals.
- Advise graduate students, along with Chairperson (and Undergraduates as needed)
- Serve as Interior Design minor advisor
- Assist Chairperson with coordination of admissions activities, including serving on the Graduate Application Review Committee
- Coordinate review of undergraduate transfer students
- Assist Chairperson with recruitment, selection and retention of faculty and staff
- Participate in curriculum coordination and program development. Review curricular proposals and modifications to ensure uniformity across section, course sequencing, etc.
- Participate in program assessment activities
- Coordinate various end-of-semester, mid-program and end-of-degree reviews as well as internal and external exhibition events
- Coordinate the storage (both digital and physical) of student archives
- Assists in maintaining social media platforms and administer the department's "Weekly Blast" email
- Perform all other related activities as required
Candidates should have a minimum of two years of academic administrative experience (program coordinator, director or equivalent, and a minimum of two to five years of teaching experience (part time or full time), within a college or university setting. A terminal degree or equivalent in interior design or a related discipline is required. NCIDQ and/or LEED certification, membership in IIDA, IDEC or related professional associations, and familiarity with the CIDA accreditation process and standards are strongly preferred.
The successful candidates will demonstrate expertise in the practice and education of interior design. Excellent organizational, communications and interpersonal skills, and the ability to develop rapport with a diverse faculty and student body are required.
This administrative appointment is 12 months per year. Teaching one course per term is supported and encouraged with additional salary for this work per contact hours of the course(s).
SALARY is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Review of applications will begin June 23rd, 2017 and will continue until the position is filled. Applicants should submit a letter of application/interest, curriculum vitae, the names and contact information for a minimum of two professional references, and writing samples or scholarly papers (if applicable) via our internal application site at http://tinyurl.com/y826mbyd
Please also submit up to 20 samples of both persona/professional work and student work using Slideroom at https://prattjobs.slideroom.com/#/permalink/program/36633
PRATT INSTITUTE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND RECOGNIZES AND VALUES THE BENEFITS OF A DIVERSE WORKFORCE.