Position Summary Information
Job Description Summary
Southwestern Michigan College, a two-year college located approximately 30 minutes north of South Bend, Indiana, and approximately 30 minutes from Lake Michigan’s eastern shore is seeking a full-time Programmer.
The experienced Programmer must have the knowledge and capabilities to write and maintain programming code, test, and document according to standards and peer review. Must have excellent communication and problem solving skills and the ability to work individually or with a team, clients, and vendors. This is an exempt position that will report directly to the Executive Director of Computing Services. The Programmer duties include, but are not limited to the following:
• Design, develop, update and test applications using design methodologies and tool sets;
• Debug existing program code by designing testing criteria, testing and fixing errors
• Confirm and/or write project requirements by reviewing program objective(s), input data and output requirements with analyst, vendor and end-users.
• Provide end-user training and support of current and future software
• Write and update documentation within code, in a wiki, and for end-user clients.
• Maintain up to-date technical knowledge
• Provide project and work-order status, issues, concerns roadblocks or challenges.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Programming or related field.
• 3+ year’s software development experience – preferably with Java
• Basic technical understanding of application operations/functionality, development, testing, support and troubleshooting.
• Frameworks: Gradles, Grails
• Databases: Oracle and MySQL databases
• Experience with RedHat Linux and Source Code Management software (Git)
• Administrative software experience a plus (Banner, Evisions, Touchnet, Moodle, Document Management, Enterprise Scheduler)
• Strong analytical and problem resolution skills, ability to work individually or as a team player. Highly self-motivated and directed.
• Strong interpersonal, verbal, and communication skills. The ability to communicate in both technical and non-technical language.
• Able to multi-task, prioritize under pressure, and have good organizational and time management skills.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Dexterity of hands to operate a computer keyboard as well as seeing to review material for accuracy.
• Hearing and speaking to exchange information with students, staff and public.
• Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time.
Relocation Assistance Available
Posting Number 20110561
Job Category Staff
Reference Request Details
Accept References Yes
Minimum Requests 3
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Inside Higher Ed
- Chronicle of Higher Ed
- MI Talent
- MCCA Website
- The Ladders
- Michigan Center for Nursing
- Indiana Career Connect
- Employee Referral
- SMC Website
- SMC Job Alert Email
- * Do you have at least a Bachelor's degree or higher?
- Cover Letter
- Academic Transcripts
- Optional Documents