Assistant Athletic Trainer/Instructor - WVU Beckley
West Virginia University Institute of Technology (WVU Tech), part of the WVU system of campuses, is seeking a self-motivated and driven Assistant Athletic Trainer/Instructor for the new WVU Beckley campus. This position will report to the WVU Tech Athletic Director and Chair of the Department of Sports Studies.
The Assistant Athletic Trainer/Instructor provides care to student-athletes competing in the University's athletics program and teaches in the Department of Sports Studies. Responsibilities include the prevention, evaluation, management and rehabilitation of injuries/illness within the University's athletics program.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Provide injury prevention, evaluation and management to student-athletes in various University athletic programs.
- Rehabilitate student-athletes' injuries and illnesses.
- Provide coverage and care at athletic events, both home and away, as well as practices.
- Supervise, educate, and recruit student and graduate assistant athletic trainers.
- Maintain required record keeping and documentation.
- Collaborate with physicians and other allied health care providers to deliver care to student-athletes.
- Collaborate with coaches and other staff to optimize care and customer service to student-athletes.
- Prepare and teach 3-9 credit hours per semester in the Department of Sports Studies.
- Participate in departmental meetings in the Department of Sports Studies.
- Provide 2-4 yearly CPR/First Aid tests to students in ACE 491.
Date of Appointment: August 1, 2017
Application Deadline: Review of applications will begin immediately
WVU Tech is a regional division of the West Virginia University system and is located in Beckley, West Virginia. It boasts a 12:1 student-to-faculty ratio and an average class size of 17 students, allowing personalized attention in a supportive environment. WVU Tech is ranked first in the state for return on investment, and seventh in the nation in annual ROI for students paying in-state tuition. The campus is near state and national parks and numerous recreational opportunities.
- Master's of Science required; must have a bachelor's or master's in athletic coaching education, athletic training or physical education
- At least one (1) year of the following is required:
- Athletic training experience (collegiate preferred)
- Teaching experience in athletic training or science based class (experience teaching as a graduate assistant or clinical instructor is acceptable)
- Ability to work positively and effectively with students and coaches
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communications skills
- Background check
- Valid driver's license required to transport student-athletes and other students
- NATA BOC certification
- Must be CPR and AED certified and maintain certificate during the course of employment
- Must have (prior to employment) and maintain instructor's certification levels for CPR/First Aid
At West Virginia University, we pride ourselves on a tireless endeavor for achievement. We are home to some of the most passionate, innovative minds in the country who push their limits for the sake of progress, constantly moving the world forward. Our students, faculty and staff make this institution one of the best out there, and we are proud to stand as one voice, one university, one WVU. Find out more about your opportunities as a Mountaineer at http://hr.wvu.edu/.
West Virginia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff and students, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans.
: May 30, 2017
Posting Classification: FE/AP
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes