Laboratory Instrument Maker - Machinist
Working Title: Laboratory Instrument Maker - Machinist
Position Type: University Operational and Administrative Staff
Department: Department of Physics
Posting Date: 06-08-2017
The Department of Physics at the University of Virginia is seeking a Laboratory Instrument Maker-Machinist to support the research and educational mission of the department and school. The incumbent will work with undergraduate and graduate students, research professionals, and faculty to fabricate, construct, and/or design instruments for research and instruction. Duties include advanced machining, welding/soldering/brazing, preventative maintenance on shop equipment, and teaching student shop courses as needed.
This position is restricted per policy HRM-015 (http://uvapolicy.virginia.edu/policy/HRM-015) and is contingent upon the continuation of funding.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent communication skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Superior customer service in working with undergraduate and graduate students, research professionals, and faculty to fabricate, construct, and/or design instruments for research and instruction.
- Possess problem solving skills and the ability to multitask in a high-paced academic environment.
-Ability to work both independently and as a strong team player.
- Demonstrated mastery of machine tool practices and safety.
- Ability to work from sketches/blueprints and verbal instruction; and understand the fundamentals of industrial design.
- Demonstrated ability to operate machines and tools such as Computer Numerical Control (CNC) mills and lathes to close tolerance is required.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=81836