Working Title: Sustainability Assistant
Position Type: University Operational and Administrative Staff
Department: Facilities Management Department
Posting Date: 06-08-2017
Facilities Management (FM) supports the University of Virginia's wide range of research, academic and patient care programs. With over 1,200 employees dedicated to excellence, Facilities Management is responsible for the day-to-day operation, repair and maintenance of U.Va.'s buildings, infrastructure and grounds as well as other University-owned and leased properties.
The Sustainability Assistant is a core member of the University of Virginia's Office for Sustainability and will support dozens of pan-university committees, working groups, and task forces, as well as Office for Sustainability programs and staff, in advancing UVA's sustainability goals. The position will provide the logistical support necessary to streamline and advance committee work, execute events, and increase communication and outreach opportunities. The Sustainability Assistant will support sustainability committees by facilitating project logistics such as scheduling meetings, reserving conference rooms, taking meeting minutes and action items, performing basic follow-up, website updates, and organizing documents. The incumbent will expand UVA sustainability's communication opportunities by representing UVA Sustainability in person at events and meetings, such as tabling and basic presentations, some of which will be in the evenings or on weekends. Strong writing skills are required, as the Sustainability Assistant will write multimedia communications, such as blog posts, articles, press releases, case studies, newsletters, listserv announcements, website, and social media content. It will be necessary to maintain detailed knowledge of UVA sustainability initiatives in order to effectively and accurately communicate UVA's sustainability initiatives.
This position will also require weeknight and weekend availability, as needed, for special events.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Strong organizational skills, demonstrated ability to manage several projects at once, manage ongoing and deadline-based tasks, and work with shifting priorities and schedules.
2. Strong written and verbal communication skills. Demonstrated experience writing documents for a range of audiences.
3. Strong interpersonal skills and ability to follow directions and work effectively as part of a team.
4. Ability to conduct research on various environmental impacts and produce reliable and accurate information
5. General knowledge of sustainability issues and actions to reduce environmental impact, demonstrated through though coursework, internships, positions, or volunteer work.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=82052