Production Manager, Lighting and AV
CU Boulder's Macky Auditorium has an opening for a Production Manager. The Production Manager acts as Stage Manager for productions including mounting/advancing productions, supervising technical crews, and maintenance of backstage work areas. In addition, they work with the Assistant Director for Production to provide recommendations for equipment acquisition and maintenance cycles in the areas of Lighting and AV.
Who we are:
Macky Auditorium is a multi-disciplinary venue in the heart of Boulder. One of the 12 buildings that form the Norlin Quadrangle Historic District, it serves the University of Colorado and the region by entertaining, educating and challenging audiences with high quality local, national and international performances. Macky Auditorium promotes excellence in entertainment and the arts by providing a professional atmosphere that fosters creativity and provides a rewarding experience for our guests, sponsors, clients and performers.
What your key responsibilities will be:
Technical Theater Production
- Use various types of technical theater rigging, sound, stage managing, lighting, audiovisual, props and shop activities.
- Maintains and repairs technical theater equipment and production and support spaces and. Makes recommendations for new and replacement technical systems and equipment, and facility repairs and improvements.
- Supervises and facilitates event set-ups, load-ins, shows and load-out activities.
- Consults with Macky Auditorium's artists, clients, partners and their representatives in analyzing on-site technical requirements.
- Triages issues as they arise before and during production. Negotiates technical requirements within their areas of emphasis.
Technical Crew Supervision and Community Outreach
- Hires, trains and supervises technical crew consisting of professional technicians, students and other production staff.
- Develop training processes for theater production emphasis areas for staff, including providing training to ensure compliance with safety regulations.
- Engages broadly across campus and the community to build professional relationships with staff and clients.
What you should know:
This position requires the ability to work varying hours required for event and production, coordinate complex technical set-ups, skillfully use various types of technical theater rigging (emphasis), stage managing, lighting, sound (emphasis), props and shop activities. Work will require physical strength, dexterity and endurance. The position is 50% time (20 hours per week), but given the nature of theater work, the position will work extra hours several weeks per season.
What we can offer:
The anticipated salary for this position is $22.11 per hour.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be adaptable. Be inventive. Be resourceful. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- Bachelor's Degree in Technical Theater, Fine Arts, Engineering or related field. Substitution: Full-time technical theater work may substitute for the bachelor's degree on a year for year basis.
- Three (3) years' experience in technical theater in performing arts technical equipment and duties relevant to live event production.
- Three (3) years' experience in technical theater stage management techniques including lighting and sound plots, stage sets and drawings, rigging, audio visual and ground plans.
- Two (2) years' experience supervising stage crews and/or students.
- Two (2) years' experience creating written communication.
- One (1) year experience working in Office 365 or the Microsoft Office product suite.
What you will need:
- Excellent interpersonal skills, team development and flexibility in problem solving.
- Ability to maintain accurate and timely records.
- Adaptability to evolving work environment.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and provide high-quality customer service with faculty, staff, artists, visiting production crews and the general public.
What we'd like you to have:
- Experience implementing safety regulations and practices pertaining to stage theater work.
- Four (4) years' experience in performing arts technical equipment in a historical venue environment and/or higher education environment.
- One (1) year experience working with event production software such as Ungerboeck and/or EventBooking.
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by June 22, 2017.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at firstname.lastname@example.org. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-09629.
Please do not upload references at this time.
Job Category: Academic Services
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10363 - Music-Macky Auditorium
Posting Date: Jun 8, 2017
Closing Date: Jun 22, 2017
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
Position Number: 00733745