McNair Scholars Program Manager
General Description of Position: The Program Manager will direct and administer the day-to-day program activities and services for the McNair Scholars Program. Information about the Department: The Ronald E. McNair Baccalaureate Achievement Program (McNair Scholars Program) is a TRIO Program funded by a grant from the federal Department of Education to prepare talented undergraduates for graduate study, with the goal of increasing the number of Ph.D. recipients from underrepresented socio-economic and ethnic groups. To be eligible, students must either be first-generation and economically disadvantaged, or a member of a group that is underrepresented in higher education. The McNair Scholars Program is a comprehensive program structured to prepare undergraduates for successful careers as professors and professional researchers. Scholars receive advice and assistance in preparing themselves academically for graduate school, searching for graduate programs to apply to, completing the application process, and deciding what program to enter. This preparation is offered in the form of classes, colloquia, advising, tutoring, faculty mentoring, and the completion of a Summer Research Internship. Scholars conduct original research, write reports, make presentations, and have the opportunity to attend research conferences. Diversity and Inclusion: Kansas State University embraces diversity, and promotes inclusion in every sector of the institution. The university actively seeks candidates whose commitments and contributions will advance the University's commitment to the Principles of Community. Job Description:
- Provide direction and coordination of the day-to-day activities and services of the McNair Scholars Program.
- Implement, monitor, and administer the objectives of the McNair Program.
- Supervise the Academic Services Coordinator /Writing Skills Specialist and Program/Project Assistant.
- Screen potential program participants to determine eligibility. In coordination with the Student Programs Coordinator, assist the Director in recruiting students, review applications for completeness and documentation of eligibility, approve applications of all prospective program participants, and participate in applicant interviews. Assist the Director in making final participant selections. Facilitate, implement, supervise, and evaluate the Colloquium on Research and Graduate Education, and other scholarly, social, and professional development activities. Match scholars with faculty research mentors, which includes meeting with both the scholars and mentors to explain their responsibilities. Organize workshops, campus visits, and activities for the academic, professional and personal development of the scholars. Assist the Director in tracking the McNair graduates through their doctoral degree attainments. Assist the Director in monitoring and evaluating program activities and services. Assist the Director with the data collection for annual performance reports. Supervise the record keeping on all program participants, utilizing a database. Assist the Director in preparing the McNair Scholars Program grant application. Other duties as assigned (i.e., represent the program on various undergraduate research committees when the Director is not available).
- This position requires a Bachelor's Degree in related field, or work equivalent.
- Must have three to five years of progressively responsible experience in a related position.
- Masters or PhD
- Ability to foster a cooperative environment within the department and its constituencies in a diverse population.
- Experience working with students in higher education.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Experience and demonstrated proficiency in public speaking.
- Three years’ experience working with diverse populations from varied socio-economic backgrounds.
- Experience in academic advising, personal and financial aid counseling.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and public relations skills.
- Excellent networking skills.