Veteran Student Services Coordinator
Veteran Student Services Coordinator
Department: One Stop Student Service Center
The Veteran Student Services Coordinator serves as the manager and leader of all university wide military and veterans programs at the USD. This includes, but is not limited to the Access, Support, and Connect program, which encompass all levels of outreach/recruitment, retention, graduation, and fostering alumni relationships. He or she will coordinate with all appropriate USD offices to ensure effective strategic short and long-range planning goals are constructed and achieved. The Veteran Student Services Coordinator is responsible for supervision of all staff in the Military and Veterans Program. Serves as the primary person overseeing the Military and Veterans Center. Develops, implements, and manages university-wide programming and events for veteran and military-connected students, including orientation programs, lunch and learns, and other activities designed to ease transition to campus life for veteran students as well as build a sense of community among them. Serves as the advisor to the Student Veteran Organization. Works with Institutional Research & Planning to monitor statistics related to military-connected students. Acts as an ambassador for USD through community relationships related to the military. Coordinates and collaborates with local and national veteran and military serving organizations in support of the USD vision and mission related to this population.
This position reports to the Director of One Stop Student Center, and provides general supervision to:
• VA Certifying Official(s)
• VA Student Workers
• Graduate Assistant
• Other employees hired in support of the Military and Veterans Program
Essential Duties and Responsibilities Include:
• Manage, lead, and supervise the Access, Support, and Connect Programs, as well as other university wide military-connected programs and programs within the Military and Veterans Program (MVP).
• Account for university strategic plan, mission, and values in conjunction with the Military and Veterans Program mission and implement appropriate planning and actions.
• Act as primary ambassador of the USD Military and Veterans Program to external agencies.
• Serves as primary point of contact for military-connected students (currently 668), staff, administrators and faculty in relation to military-connected services at USD.
• Manage budget allocations.
• Develop, implement, and maintain appropriate policies related to military-connected students on campus and military relations.
• Work with VA Certifying Official and Military and Veterans Program staff to hire, train, and supervise VA student employees that assist in operation of the Military and Veterans Center.
• In conjunction with Institutional Research & Planning, monitor statistics and data related to military-connected students at USD and national trends.
• Analyze and interpret new/pending legislation and information from the Veterans Administration pertaining to veteran educational benefits.
• Maintain knowledge of university policies and convey this information to military-connected students.
• Monitor, research, and conduct in-depth analysis of like organizations and current studies in order to stay abreast and up to date on themes and actions related to student veterans and military-connected students in higher education
• Represent USD in local, state, and national professional organizations and establish working relationships with these organizations.
• Provide training and assistance to campus departments on veteran and military issues, this includes but is not limited to coordinator/facilitation of the Military Ally program.
• Without precedence, plan, develop and conduct other related instructional sessions, courses and/or seminars.
• Without precedence, independently create briefs, travel to, and present at events with the intention of educating and advocating for student veterans and military-connected students in higher education. These events can include but are not limited to educational events on best practices, student veteran programs, transition issues, and more.
• Evaluate, analyze, and adjust as needed social media, web presence, and other medias in order to maintain an image appropriate for university and program.
• Inform and encourage students to participate in leadership development opportunities for military-connected students at the local, regional, and national level.
• Maintain regular communication with all undergraduate and graduate military-connected students through a newsletter and other collaborative efforts.
• Serve on University committees related to military-connected students as assigned.
• Serve as the persistence response team representative for military-connected students.
• Identify, create, and enhance initiatives that improve military-connected students' academic and co-curricular experiences at USD.
• Create, attend, maintain, and coordinate external military advisory council consisting of community leaders interested in supporting military-connected students.
• Create, attend, maintain, and coordinate internal military advisory council consisting of university leaders.
• Support and actively participate in university development in support of the Military and Veterans Program.
•Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
• Bachelor's degree and two years of experience in a customer service position.
• Excellent customer service skills including, but not limited to, listening, oral communication, empathy, and problem solving.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Experience with military/veteran community, including working knowledge of VA benefit and certification processes.
• Ability to present information effectively to senior management, public groups, and/or board of directors.
• Evidence of leadership abilities.
• Must support and represent the mission of USD.
• Counseling, advising, or coaching experience.
• Knowledge of various higher education models.
• Knowledge of Veteran Administration policies and benefits applicable to veteran students.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, Salesforce, and other applications such as Banner and VA Once.
• Knowledge of financial aid procedures.
• Experience managing multiple programs.
• Evaluation and assessment experience.
• Public speaking experience.
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Understanding of and ability to assess the military-connected student experience.
• Demonstrated ability to engage military-connected students.
• A cutting-edge awareness of services, programs, research, and outcomes beneficial to the support, retention, identity development, satisfaction, achievement and excellence of military-connected students.
• Perform technical skills related to program management and leadership.
• Act as the ambassador and visible representative of USD and the Military and Veterans Program at the local and national level.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Salary: Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Hours: 37.5 hours per week; usual work hours 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
Closing date: June 21, 2017
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus.For more information, visitwww.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers' review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at email@example.com