Food Service Worker III - Stanford Hospitality and Auxiliaries
Food Service Worker III - Stanford Hospitality and Auxiliaries
Job Number: 75217
ABOUT STANFORD UNIVERSITY AND RESIDENTIAL & DINING ENTERPRISES: Stanford University, located between San Francisco and San Jose in the heart of California's Silicon Valley, is one of the world's leading teaching and research universities. Since its opening in 1891, Stanford has been dedicated to finding solutions to big challenges and to preparing students for leadership in a complex world. Residential & Dining Enterprises (R&DE), the largest auxiliary organization at Stanford University, supports the academic mission of the University by providing the highest quality services to students and other members of the university community in a sustainable and fiscally responsible manner. The department is the steward for a $1.8 billion asset portfolio covering 1/3 of Stanford's campus and has a $272 million annual operating budget for FY17. R&DE comprises 800+ staff in the following divisions: the Office of the Senior Associate Vice Provost (SAVP Office), Student Housing, Stanford Dining, Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries, Stanford Conferences, and a team of four R&DE strategic business partners: Finance & Administration, Human Resources, Information Technology, and Strategic Communications. R&DE houses 13,000+ students and their dependents while serving over 6.5 million meals annually to students, conference, catering, retail, and concession guests and annually hosts a combined 52,000 guests in the Stanford Guest House and on-campus in Stanford Conferences. ABOUT STANFORD HOSPITALITY & AUXILIARIES: Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries, a division within R&DE at Stanford University is committed to excellence and the highest level of customer service. It is recognized nationally for operating at “the cutting edge” of the industry receiving exceptional service ratings and numerous awards, including the Restaurant & Institutions Magazine Ivy Award for excellence in food service and hospitality. The Ivy Award is one of the industry's most prestigious and coveted awards, give to those operations that meet the highest standards of food, hospitality and service. With R&DE's vision “to be the best in the business” Stanford Hospitality and Auxiliaries is a Certified Green Business practicing sustainability in its purchasing and using equipment and processes that reduce solid waste and preserve natural resources. The highest Acterra Sustainability Award was received in 2006, in recognition of these initiatives. Summary of Position:
Cooks prepare all foods, and in doing so, make decisions regarding the quality of produce, portioning of ingredients, seasoning, and attractiveness of the final product. In addition to the preparation of specific menu items, Cooks (working from standardized recipes and daily production sheets provided by management) order supplies from the storerooms, prepare menu items for following meals, and store leftover food. They may substitute menu selections within guidelines established by management. Essential Job Functions:
- Welcome and connect with every customer to provide excellent customer service.
- Prepares an extensive variety of hot or cold meats, seafood, poultry, vegetables and other food items for cooking on a grill, oven, or in a variety of kitchen equipment. Cold food items include salads, salad dressings, cold plates, sandwiches, hors d'oeuvres.
- Test food items for proper texture, temperature, doneness, and flavor.
- Prepare hot and cold food for meals according to recipes and directions.
- Responsible for preparing, cooking, plating, and serving of hot and cold starters and appetizers.
- Assist in determining amounts to be prepared, including starting amounts and batch sizes.
- Washes, peels, chops, slices, dices and mixes vegetables and fruits and other ingredients for salads, cold plates, and garnishes.
- Carves and slices cold meats, cheese, and prepares seafood. Prepares composite salads.
- Read recipes and follow instructions to make sure food is prepared with excellent quality, correctly and on time.
- Check food supplies needed to ensure availability. Order supplies from storeroom when needed.
- Prep for following day. Ensure food is prepared, labeled, and ready for use.
- Complete production records at meal time. Report production counts in production sheet.
- Assists in food prep during off-peak periods.
- Record last-minute menu changes.
- Order supplies from storeroom and prepare menu items.
- Maintains a clean and sanitary work station area.
- Washes and cleans all utensils, preparation equipment, counters required for production in the pantry area.
- Ensures all sanitation and food handling safety standards are followed and maintained.
- Adhere to uniform guidelines and personal hygiene standards.
- Communicate clearly with management and other personnel. Bring issues to their attention if needed for resolution. Ensure accurate information is provided to management.
- Ability to multitask.
- Complete other duties as assigned within classification. Follow established guidelines for personal hygiene and personal attire. Comply with required food safety, sanitation, and health standards.
- Minimum of 2 years experience in kitchen preparation and cooking, with an understanding of proper food handling and safety, knowledge of safety and sanitation standards, and culinary fundamentals (i.e. knife skills, HACCP, methods of cooking, etc.)
- Ability to work independently as a cooperative team member.
- Must have prior catering experience.
- Must be service -oriented, courteous, and professional.
- Ability to interact effectively with customers and co-workers
- Must adhere to the department policies and procedures.
Must have the ability to understand and communicate in English with adequate proficiency to follow directions from supervisor, read and understand safety guidelines and directions to prevent accidents or injuries from occurring, and communicate effectively with customers (staff, visitors, students) by listening and speaking clearly to them. Physical Requirements:
Ability to stand for prolonged periods, reach, lift, bend, kneel, stoop, climb push, and pull items. Physical agility is critical to perform essential job functions. Lift up to 25lbs must have manual dexterity. Ability to work around hot equipment (stoves, grills, ovens). Working Conditions Frequency of Occurrence
Extreme Temperature Changes10-30% Walking 30-60% Standing 50-80% Sitting 10-20% Bending 10-50% Squatting 10-20%
Hand and Finger Dexterity10-40% Reaching 10-50% Climbing 10-20% Noise 90-100%
Lifting, Carrying, Pushing, Pulling
Up to 10 lbs.
Up to 25 lbs.
Up to 50 lbs.
Over 50 lbs.30-60% 20-50% 10-20% 5-10%
Job: Food Services
Location: Residential & Dining Enterprises
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.