The Department of Biology is seeking an Accountant II. This position is responsible for intermediate level professional financial support, maintaining general and subsidiary ledgers for all financial accounts in the Biology department. Solves a variety of straightforward problems with interpretation and application of standard procedures. The Biology Department is a large research department composed of 40 faculty and 138 graduate students. The department also houses greenhouses for teaching and research, one stockroom for use by graduate students, staff and faculty for teaching and research.
- Responsible for managing the fiscal and accounting functions of a large department, while applying accounting principles and practices to these activities. Oversees all grants and grant accounting including fiscal transactions and audits.
- Investigates and analyzes accounting errors and works with appropriate staff to resolve the issues.
- Supervision of staff working in the fiscal office that includes teams and OPS personnel.
- Maintains general or subsidiary account ledgers, and is responsible for overseeing the activities and compliance for state, donor, and other cash funds.
- Responsible for the investigation and analysis of accounting errors and works with staff to resolve any discrepancies.
- Monitors and collects data to assess accuracy and integrity; analyze data; ensure compliance with applicable standards, rules, regulations and systems of internal control; interpret and evaluate results, prepare documentation; create financial reports and/or presentations.
- Responsible for supervision of grant and contract staff, and ensuring that costs charge to sponsored programs adhere to policies and procedures set forth by the university, federal agencies, and other governing bodies.
- Works with department leadership in planning, coordination, and implementation of the annual state budget, donor funding, and other cash funding. Develops policies, procedures, and control systems for the department.
- Oversees payroll and effort to ensure appropriate budget allocation, and compliance with university, federal agencies, and other governing body guidelines.
The University of Florida is an equal opportunity institution dedicated to building a broad faculty and staff. Searches are conducted in accordance with Florida's Sunshine Law. If aid to disability is needed to apply for this position, please call (352) 392-2477 or the Florida 955-8771 (TDD)
The salary range for this position is $42,000 to $48,000, commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area and two years of relevant experience.
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to communicate effectively with individuals at all levels of responsibility
- Ability to review/analyze financial statements for conformity with appropriate guidelines
- Ability to prepare a complex financial reports as needed
- Ability to prepare revenue and expense statements
- Ability to learn/comprehend effectively how UF's PeopleSoft financial accounting system operates and to utilize Enterprise Reporting
- Ability to learn/comprehend effectively how Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) apply to UF
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please submit a cover letter, a list of three references and a resume.
Applications must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. of the posting end date.
Health Assessment Required: No