Director of Admissions and Student Services
Longy School of Music of Bard College seeks an enthusiastic, goal-oriented Director of Admissions and Student Services, to lead a team that cultivates a diverse prospective student population, resulting in increased enrollment at Longy’s two campuses. This full-time, exempt position reports to the Dean of the Conservatory and supervises the Assistant Director of Admissions, the Assistant Director of Admissions and Student Services (a position that is currently open) and student employees. It is an ideal position for a hands-on collaborator who enjoys working at all levels of the job and across departments. This is an extraordinary opportunity for a seasoned leader with a solid track-record who wants to play a key role during a transformative time in Longy’s growth.
- Manage all aspects of recruitment and admissions for Longy’s five degree programs at two campuses in Cambridge, MA, and Los Angeles, CA
- Represent Longy to prospective students and their mentors at college fairs, conferences, events, and campuses nationally and internationally
- Develop a strong applicant pool of national and international candidates for an incoming class of approximately 135 students per year (in Cambridge) and 20 students per year (in Los Angeles)
- Create long and short term planning and evaluation of recruitment, retention and completion strategies and programs
- Work effectively and directly with department chairs, program directors and faculty to develop and implement effective recruiting strategies to raise enrollment beyond 250 full-time students within three years
- Organize auditions for, interview, evaluate, and correspond with prospective students
- Collaborate with the Associate Director of Marketing and Communications to coordinate recruitment efforts through various marketing channels
- Maintain enrollment and scholarship data, using Access and Get Acceptd databases
- Oversee Student Services (which includes student government, student activities, on-campus employment, career services, student health insurance and immunization records, and housing services)
- Plan and coordinate new student orientation with the other members of Academic Affairs staff, and traveling to appropriate recruiting events
- Create and monitor annual department budget
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of five years of experience in collegiate or conservatory admissions
- Be fully conversant in the tools of effective admissions and recruitment, including marketing and promotion, information technology, financial aid and merit scholarship awarding
- Experience in student services and with international student regulations
- Possess the ability, skill, and desire to apply a progressive, non-traditional approach to admissions and recruiting, that is not driven by meeting enrollment ‘targets’ (e.g., the correct number to populate the orchestra) but by recruiting and drawing a cohort of students who are a right fit for our curriculum
- Individuals with advanced musical credentials or equivalent musical experience preferred
Outstanding oral and written communication skills, energy and dedication, enthusiasm for the value and importance of advanced musical study, superb organizational skills including a meticulous eye for detail, a creative and strategic mind-set, the ability to work effectively in a collaborative, team-oriented environment, and a sense of humor.
Longy offers a competitive salary plus an Open Time Off Policy (OPTO) which includes a generous Family Medical Leave policy of 12 paid weeks. Longy also offers discounts on tuition at Longy, enrollment in Longy’s retirement plan, group health and dental plans, life and long‐term disability insurance, flexible spending account and qualified transportation programs.
Interested candidates should send a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information of three references by hard copy or email to the attention of Wayman Chin, Dean of the Conservatory, Longy School of Music of Bard College, 27 Garden Street, Cambridge, MA 02138, email@example.com. Screening of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.